‘Eternal’ solar plane Zephyr confirmed record-breakerDecember 25th, 2010 - 11:52 am ICT by ANI
London, Dec 25 (ANI): The UK-built solar-powered plane Zephyr, dubbed ‘eternal plane’, has been officially announced a record breaker following its feat of non-stop flight for two weeks.
Aeronautique Internationale (FAI), gave Zephyr three records including longest time aloft.
“This aircraft can help track pirates off the Horn of Africa, alert the authorities about where and how fast forest fires are spreading, and ensure that soldiers’ communications remain unaffected when fighting in mountainous or hilly terrain,” the BBC quoted Qinetiq’s chief designer Chris Kelleher as saying.
The plane has beaten the earlier record for the absolute duration of an unmanned autonomous vehicle (UAV) flight - set by Northrop Grumman’s Global Hawk in 2001 - by a factor of 11.
The aircraft, made of amorphous silicon, flies during daytime on electricity generated by solar panels on its wings. Its USP is their persistence over a location.
Its best part is the ultra-light design, based on carbon fibre, which means that with a wingspan of 22.5m (74ft) it weighs little more than 50kg (110 lb).
The military will want to use them as reconnaissance and communications platforms. Civilian and scientific programmes will equip them with small payloads for Earth observation duties. (ANI)
- 'Eternal plane' Zephyr returns to Earth after record 2 weeks - Jul 24, 2010
- British spy drone sets new flying record - Jul 17, 2010
- Spy plane sets new record by staying in air for 82 hours - Aug 25, 2008
- US unveils surveillance aircraft - Jun 16, 2012
- Solar Impulse plane completes record-breaking 24-hour flight - Jul 08, 2010
- First human-powered aircraft achieves sustained flight - Sep 23, 2010
- Solar plane to make first cross-continent flight - Apr 25, 2012
- US testing deadlier, stealthier drones - Jan 11, 2011
- UK developed solar powered spy plane breaks flight record - Aug 24, 2008
- Solar-powered spy plane can remain aloft five years - Sep 21, 2010
- Solar-powered plane attempts intercontinental flight - May 25, 2012
- Man, flapping wings, makes 20-sec flying history - Sep 23, 2010
- Solar plane lands after first night flight (Lead, changing dateline) - Jul 08, 2010
- Solar plane successfully makes first test flight - Apr 08, 2010
- South Africa to launch unmanned air vehicle in 2012 - Aug 11, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,