Eruption of galactic ’super-volcano’ caught in actionAugust 20th, 2010 - 4:19 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Aug 20 (ANI): NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory and NSF’s Very Large Array have witnessed a galactic “super-volcano” that is erupting and blasting gas outwards.
The galactic volcano in the massive galaxy M87 is being driven by a giant black hole in the galaxy’s centre and preventing hundreds of millions of new stars from forming.
M87’s close proximity to the Earth has made it an excellent subject for investigations of how a massive black hole impacts its environment.
“And it doesn’t stop there. The black hole’s reach extends ever farther into the entire cluster, similar to how one small volcano can affect practically an entire hemisphere on Earth,” said Norbert Werner.
As the hot gas around M87 cools, it should be able to form new stars, but jets of very energetic particles produced by the black hole interrupt this process.
These jets lift up the relatively cool gas near the center of the galaxy and produce shock waves in the galaxy’s atmosphere because of their supersonic speed.
In the analogy with Eyjafjallajokull, the energetic particles produced in the vicinity of the black hole rise through the X-ray emitting atmosphere of the cluster, lifting up the coolest gas near the center of M87 in their wake, much like the hot volcanic gases drag up the clouds of dark ash.
“This analogy shows that even though astronomical phenomena can occur in exotic settings and over vast scales, the physics can be very similar to events on Earth,” said co-author Aurora Simionescu. (ANI)
- Telescope captures galactic super volcanic explosion - Aug 23, 2010
- Supermassive black hole discovered in dwarf galaxy - Jan 10, 2011
- Scientists discover active black hole in the 'Eye of Sauron' - Mar 11, 2011
- Boffins uncover most powerful pair of jets ever seen from a black hole - Jul 08, 2010
- Astronomers find supermassive black holes - Sep 01, 2011
- Awesome power of supermassive black holes revealed - Apr 17, 2010
- How black holes fire gas jets into space - Jan 12, 2012
- New levels of complexity and intrigue revealed in Milky Way's center - Sep 23, 2009
- What makes black holes at galaxy centre become active - Jun 16, 2010
- NASA telescopes discover most distant galaxy cluster - Jan 13, 2011
- NASA telescope discovers giant bubbles in Milky Way - Nov 10, 2010
- Discovery pinpoints location of missing matter in universe - May 12, 2010
- Chandra images show result of star formation on overdrive - Jan 14, 2011
- Black holes may play important role in evolution of galaxies - Mar 04, 2010
- 'Missing matter' in nearby Universe located? - May 12, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,