Enhancing genitals is latest cosmetic surgery trendMarch 8th, 2009 - 10:35 am ICT by IANS
Stuttgart (Germany), March 8 (DPA) Women are showing more interest in having their genital area surgically enhanced, according to the authors of an article in a medical journal on midwifery and gynaecology published in Stuttgart, southern Germany.
Cosmetic surgery to alter the labia is the third most sought-after operation after facial and breast augmentation surgeries, the authors, psychologist Ada Borkenhagen and gynaecologist Heribert Kentenich, said. The new ideal is taken from current photographs in erotic and pornographic magazines.
As is the case in breast augmentation, the desired look is youthful. More precisely, the vulva should be completely covered by the labia. Thus, the most common cosmetic surgery among women seeking genital enhancement is the reduction of the labia - the folds of female external genitalia.
The surgery is meant to improve self-confidence and sex. It is even supposed to improve quality of life in general. But these claims are inadequately supported by studies, according to Borkenhagen und Kentenich. Complications cannot be ruled out.
On Internet websites women who have undergone the surgery complain about the healing process of their surgical wounds, numbness, sexual dysfunction and scar tissue.
A reduction of the labia for aesthetic reasons is therefore not recommended. However, the surgery can be helpful for women who have sexual problems or irritation from wearing trousers or playing sports because they have large labia.
- More Australian women opting for genital trim: Report - Nov 07, 2010
- Oz women with 'designer vaginas' getting psychiatric help - Nov 14, 2010
- Oz women's demands for 'designer vaginas' triple - Nov 07, 2010
- Vaginal cosmetic surgery in vogue in Italy - Aug 21, 2010
- An 'explosion' in the number of boob jobs in run-up to Christmas - Dec 08, 2010
- Women in red a real turn off for men - Apr 17, 2012
- Cosmetic surgery in women increasingly becoming more pervasive - Jun 12, 2010
- Coming soon: Female Viagra - Apr 14, 2010
- Boob job 'most popular cosmetic surgery procedure' - Mar 27, 2011
- Deciding whether intersex babies should be boys or girls - Mar 18, 2011
- Drug prototype shows promise of female arousal - Apr 14, 2010
- Getting 'perfect vaginas' could put women at health risks - Nov 11, 2009
- Breast reconstruction helps women regain sexual wellness - Oct 24, 2011
- Traveller claims she was sexually assaulted during US airport pat down - Nov 17, 2010
- Vaccination can prevent cervical cancer deaths: Experts - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: aesthetic reasons, breast augmentation, female external genitalia, genital enhancement, germany march, gynaecologist, gynaecology, healing process, internet websites, kentenich, large labia, new ideal, playing sports, pornographic magazines, scar tissue, self confidence, sexual problems, southern germany, stuttgart germany, surgical wounds