Egypt Ramesses II temple found in Upper EgyptJuly 16th, 2010 - 2:05 pm ICT by ANI
Rome, July 16 (ANI): The remains of a 3,000 year old temple dating from the reign of ancient Egyptian pharaoh Rameses II have been unearthed in the excavations in Upper Egypt’s Ehnasia archaeological area.
Ramesses II ruled Egypt from 1279-1213 BC and was the son of Seti I, whose secret ‘tomb within a tomb’ was uncovered in June in the Valley of the Kings in central Egypt.
“Inside the remains of this temple, excavators uncovered ten cartouches of Ramesses II and beneath them a relief saying that the ruler had built this temple for himself in Ehnasia,” the Adnkronos Culture And Media quoted
Sabri Abdel Aziz of Egypt’s Supreme Archaeology as saying.
A collection of terracotta statues depicting Isis, Aphrodite and Horus were found inside along with pots and clay lamps, he said.
The team of archaeologists will continue excavation of the temple during the next archaeological season, Aziz added.
Ramesses II is regarded as one of Egypt’s most powerful pharaohs and was nicknamed ‘the Great Ancestor’ by his successors. (ANI)
- Attempt to steal pharaoh's statue foiled in Egypt - Feb 25, 2011
- Archaeologists fail to find secret burial site at Seti I tunnel's end - Jul 01, 2010
- Ancient Egyptian temple sits submerged in sewage - Nov 24, 2010
- Headless Egypt king statue could give clues to Cleopatra's tomb - Nov 19, 2010
- Stone inscription solves mystery of King Tuts father - Dec 18, 2008
- Statue fragments of King Tut's grandparents unearthed - Jan 11, 2011
- 57 ancient tombs found in Egypt - May 24, 2010
- Archaeologists stumble upon largest New Kingdom temple ever discovered in Egypt - Apr 27, 2009
- 4,000-year-old tomb found in Egypt - May 29, 2012
- Statue of Ramses II, one of ancient Egypt's most powerful pharaohs found!! - Sep 25, 2008
- Tomb of royal scribe unearthed in Egypt - Apr 15, 2010
- Archaeologists unearth largest fortress in Egypt's eastern Delta - Jul 15, 2009
- Statue of King Tut's grandfather unearthed - Nov 07, 2010
- Ancient city in the Egyptian eastern borders unearthed - Apr 26, 2010
- Archaeologists find ancient statue of Ramses II in Egypt - Sep 25, 2008
Tags: ancestor, ancient egyptian pharaoh, aphrodite, archaeological area, archaeologists, cartouches, central egypt, excavation, excavations, excavators, horus, old temple, pharaoh rameses, pharaohs, rameses ii, ramesses ii, seti, terracotta statues, upper egypt, valley of the kings