Eggs help reduce high BPFebruary 19th, 2009 - 2:10 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 19 (ANI): Heres another reason for egg lovers to savour their favourite food it helps lower high blood pressure.
Canadian researchers have found that egg proteins can help reduce BP in hypertensive patients.
Earlier studies have suggested that eggs provide high-quality protein for growth, muscle strength and energy and promote weight.
Its key nutrients also help reduce the risk of neural tube birth defects and promote eye health.
In the new study led by Jianping Wu and Kaustav Majumder have found several different peptides in boiled and fried eggs that act as potent ACE inhibitors.
And fried eggs have the highest ACE inhibitory activity.
The scientists showed that enzymes in the stomach and small intestine produce these peptides from eggs.
Egg consumption has significantly reduced over the years amid concerns about cholesterol risk factor for heart disease.
However, recent studies do suggest that healthy people can eat eggs without increasing their heart disease risk.
Researchers have shown that eggs have insignificant impact on cholesterol levels.
The new study has also shown that eggs help reduce hypertension- another risk factor for heart disease.
The findings appear in Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. (ANI)
- Eggs 'contain higher Vitamin D levels and low cholesterol than thought' - Apr 14, 2011
- Heart patients better off eating a KFC Double Down than one egg yolk! - Nov 02, 2010
- No cardiac risk with food fried in olive, sunflower oil - Jan 25, 2012
- Strawberries prevent heart disease, diabetes - Jul 06, 2012
- 'Eggs healthier, safer than 30 years ago' - Jul 19, 2012
- Routine periodic fasting good for health, heart - Apr 04, 2011
- Low-carb diet may not be good for heart: Study - Jun 11, 2012
- How chocolates protect against heart disease - Feb 08, 2011
- Seaweed: rich source of nutrition for heart - Jul 21, 2011
- High heart attack risks in vegans can be cut by omega-3s and B12 - Feb 03, 2011
- Weight loss secures lasting benefits - Aug 03, 2012
- Chronic high cholesterol diet leads to brain damage: Study - Nov 25, 2010
- Some 'good' cholesterol unable to protect heart - May 09, 2012
- Statin can prevent strokes, besides lowering lipids - Jan 05, 2012
- Eggs shedding cholesterol: US study - Feb 09, 2011
Tags: ace inhibitors, canadian researchers, cholesterol levels, egg consumption, egg lovers, egg proteins, favourite food, fried eggs, heart disease risk, high blood pressure, hypertensive patients, inhibitory activity, insignificant impact, jianping wu, journal of agricultural and food chemistry, majumder, neural tube, quality protein, risk factor, small intestine