Eggs are your best buddies when it comes to calorie managementApril 21st, 2009 - 4:40 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 21 (ANI): Eating eggs for breakfast can help adults manage hunger and reduce calorie consumption throughout the day, according to a new research on breakfast choices.
On the other hand, teens who choose a protein-rich breakfast are less hungry and eat fewer calories at lunch.
In one study, Maria Luz Fernandez, Ph.D., professor in the department of nutritional sciences at the University of Connecticut, investigated the differences in post-meal hunger and daily caloric intake when eating a breakfast of either protein-rich eggs or carbohydrate-rich bagels.
It was found that men who consumed eggs for breakfast consumed fewer calories following the egg breakfast compared to the bagel breakfast.
Also, they consumed fewer total calories in the 24-hour period after the egg breakfast compared to the bagel breakfast.
In addition, they reported feeling less hungry and more satisfied three hours after the egg breakfast compared to the bagel breakfast.
The study supports previous research, which found that eating eggs for breakfast as part of a reduced-calorie diet helped overweight dieters lose 65 percent more weight and feel more energetic than dieters who ate a bagel breakfast of equal calories and volume.
The study found no significant difference in blood levels of LDL- and HDL-cholesterol and triglycerides between the individuals who ate the egg breakfast and those who ate the bagel breakfast.
In another study, researchers from the University of Kansas Medical Center assessed the impact of a protein-rich breakfast on appetite and overall calorie consumption among teens who traditionally skip breakfast.
They found that teens consumed fewer calories at lunch when they ate a protein-rich breakfast of solid foods compared with a protein-rich beverage breakfast.
Also, they discovered that post-meal hunger was significantly reduced when the teens ate a protein-rich breakfast of solid foods. (ANI)
- High-protein diet reduces hunger in obese - Jul 11, 2011
- Eggs for breakfast easy way to cut calories - Apr 21, 2009
- Eat eggs for breakfast to lose weight - Apr 13, 2010
- High protein breakfasts can help obese teens manage weight - Jun 03, 2010
- Eggs at breakfast help teenagers modulate hunger, weight - Jun 03, 2010
- Protein-rich breakfast wards off overeating - May 20, 2011
- Dessert with breakfast can benefit dieters - Jun 26, 2012
- Dietary proteins critical in maintaining overall health - May 02, 2010
- Breakfast is important, especially for teen mums and their kids - Feb 10, 2011
- An egg a day keeps unwanted calories at bay - Dec 11, 2011
- 3 square meals a day with lean protein help curb hunger for weight loss - Apr 01, 2011
- A big breakfast 'won't help you shed those pounds' - Jan 17, 2011
- In the works: A food additive to quell hunger - Aug 22, 2012
- Three meals a day help in weight loss than six mini-meals - Sep 24, 2010
- Breakfast key to good health - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: bagel breakfast, best buddies, breakfast choices, calorie consumption, daily caloric intake, dieters, egg breakfast, hdl cholesterol, kansas medical center, ldl and hdl, maria luz, nutritional sciences, previous research, reduced calorie diet, rich breakfast, study researchers, triglycerides, university of connecticut, university of kansas, university of kansas medical center