Dutch archaeologists claim to have found dArtagnans tombNovember 15th, 2008 - 1:27 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 15 (ANI): In a quest to locate the tomb of dArtagnan, an inspiration for Alexandre Dumass novel The Three Musketeers, Dutch archaeologists have discovered a small church where they believe the adventurous hero is buried.
He died during the Siege of Maastricht on June 25, 1673.
According to a leading French historian, Charles de Batz de Castelmore dArtagnan, who served Louis XIV as captain of the Musketeers of the Guard, was buried a few kilometres away at Saint Peter and Paul Church in Wolder, Holland.
The trail is very precise, Times Online quoted Odile Bordaz, author of several works on the musketeer.
She has marked down theories that dArtagnans body was brought back to France, and has been insisting the Dutch authorities and the Catholic Church to approve an archaeological dig of the site.
According to recently discovered documents, during the siege, bodies of French officers were buried in the nearest Catholic Church.
I would rate the chance of success at 50/50. But it would be wonderful to find him. Its like a police inquiry, she added.
Dumas had written The Three Musketeers in 1844 after reading about dArtagnans exploits in Les Memoires de Monsieur dArtagnan, which was published almost 150 years earlier.
Bordaz also said that dArtagnan reputation as a lady-killer was absolutely right
The musketeers and their officers led joyous lives and multiple conquests not only on the battlefield but also in the secret of the alcoves, she said. (ANI)
- 'Three Musketeers' to be remade in Hindi? - Sep 15, 2011
- Aishwarya's sword fight inspires Milla Jovovich - Oct 14, 2011
- Orlando Bloom to star in 3D 'The Three Musketeers' - May 25, 2010
- 'Three Musketeers' to hit Indian screens Oct 14 - Sep 02, 2011
- I'd love to work with Salman Khan: Milla Jovovich - Sep 28, 2011
- I was itching to play bad guy role: Musketeer Orlando Bloom - Oct 13, 2011
- I'm old school English: Orlando Bloom - Oct 13, 2011
- 'The Three Musketeers' - action precedes story (IANS Movie Review - Rating: ***) - Oct 14, 2011
- 'Alexandre Dumas' Three Musketeers largely written by ghost writer' - Feb 10, 2010
- Ruins of 300-year-old church found in US - Jun 04, 2011
- M'lady Milla enjoys stunt scenes - Oct 04, 2011
- Dutch man fathers 82 kids - Apr 16, 2012
- 'Plans to convert Goa into Hong Kong an insult' - Feb 28, 2012
- Paco Rabanne announces new artistic director - Jun 06, 2012
- Death toll reaches 22 after Nigerian church collapses - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: alcoves, catholic church, dartagnan, de batz, dumas, dumass, dutch archaeologists, dutch authorities, french historian, french officers, kilometres, lady killer, louis xiv, maastricht, musketeer, police inquiry, precise times, saint peter and paul church, several works, three musketeers