Drug-carrying microbot roams through eyeMarch 11th, 2011 - 6:45 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 11 (ANI): A new system that effectively delivers drugs to the eyes, using a microbot, could offer hope to thousands of patients who suffer from conditions like age-related macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness in old people.
The most common treatment used for macular degeneration is a drug injection into the eye. Since the drug quickly diffuses through the retina, regular injections to keep reaching the affected regions are required.
Michael Kummer and colleagues from the Institute of Robotics and Intelligent Systems (IRIS) in Zurich, Switzerland, injected a microbot in a deceased pig’s eye with a needle and then maneuvered with a novel electromagnetic system, reports New Scientist.
“The micro-devices can be thought of as magnetic drug reservoirs that can be electro-magnetically controlled to the location of interest on the retina,” says Christos Bergeles, a member of the team.
Since the robot can remain in the eye for months, it would allow for prolonged and targeted drug release.
It can also be used to position a biodegradable drug capsule in the eye and then be directly removed with a magnetic needle.
The researchers plan to start trials with living animals soon. (ANI)
- Now, a new eye jab that could cure blindness! - Apr 17, 2011
- Fake eye drug affects over 60 Chinese - Sep 24, 2010
- Study identifies key mechanisms in geographic atrophy - Feb 07, 2011
- Now, single jab that could prevent blindness - Oct 13, 2009
- Neoretina offers advanced surgery - Jan 19, 2012
- Novel cell therapy slows down vision loss in eye disease - Apr 08, 2011
- How omega-3 fatty acids keep blindness at bay - Feb 10, 2011
- Drugs to treat age-related blindness - Feb 07, 2011
- Prosthetic retina shows promise in restoring sight - May 18, 2012
- Near infra-red light can heal damaged vision - Apr 20, 2011
- Judi Dench battles to save eyesight - Feb 18, 2012
- Indian origin scientist's gene therapy shows promise in slowing AMD - Apr 30, 2011
- Electromagnetism and gravity: Are they related? - Sep 20, 2011
- Stem cell therapy could 'help the blind see within 6 weeks' - Nov 22, 2010
- Vitamin A pill 'can prevent old-age related blindness in millions' - Oct 18, 2010
Tags: age related macular degeneration, cause of blindness, colleagues, drugs, electromagnetic system, intelligent systems, leading cause of blindness, macular degeneration, magnetic needle, michael kummer, micro devices, microbot, new scientist, novel, pig, reservoirs, retina, robot, robotics, zurich switzerland