Drake wants to create off-world listening post to listen for alien messagesFebruary 19th, 2010 - 2:47 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 19 (ANI): Frank Drake, the founder of the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI), has proposed sending a spacecraft to planets orbiting distant stars to overhear alien communications, which would be too faint for telescopes on Earth to detect.
According to a report in New Scientist, Drake wants to take the search for aliens about 82 billion kilometres away.
At this point in space, electromagnetic signals from planets orbiting distant stars would be focused by the gravitational lensing effect of our sun, making them, in theory, more easily detected.
Drake wants to send spacecraft there in a bid to overhear alien communications, which would be too faint for telescopes on Earth to detect.
It’s neither a new or original idea, but it has never taken off because of the distances involved.
With existing propulsion technologies, spacecraft would take hundreds of years to make the voyage, which is about 550 times the distance from Earth to the sun.
Gravitational lenses could also be used to transmit signals, amplifying them so they could travel further and potentially reach distant civilizations.
It’s also possible that intelligent civilizations have built an intergalactic Internet using such techniques and are just “waiting for us to log on,” Drake said. (ANI)
- Could city lights help locate alien civilisations? - Nov 04, 2011
- 'Aliens could be using cosmic Twitter to contact us' - Jul 22, 2010
- New innovations required for finding aliens - Mar 02, 2010
- Spacebots only way to find ETs: expert - Apr 19, 2012
- Researchers propose new approach to find alien life - Jul 21, 2010
- Aliens may have left footprints on moon! - Dec 29, 2011
- Gravitational waves emanate as 'sounds of universe' - Oct 04, 2011
- People unfazed by possibility of alien life - Jan 10, 2011
- 'We will find Earth's twin in 2010', predicts scientist - Jan 26, 2010
- China sets eyes on Mars - Mar 02, 2011
- Billions of life bearing planets float in the milky way - May 14, 2012
- Aliens exist but are yet to visit earth - Aug 31, 2010
- White House says 'no evidence' of extraterrestrials - Nov 08, 2011
- Now, 'Earth Speaks' to aliens! - May 15, 2009
- We can detect volcanoes on alien worlds, say scientists - Sep 08, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,