Dogs’ human-like social skills make them man’s best friendFebruary 19th, 2011 - 12:07 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 19 (ANI): A new study has found out that dogs possess certain human-like social skills that even chimpanzees, our closest relatives, do not, and maybe that’s why they are termed man’s best friend.
Researchers at the University of Porto, in Portugal, explained that dogs have a quality called ‘emotional contagion,’ which allows them to respond even beyond the ability to react to people’s emotions.
“A study showing that dogs behave as “upset” as children when exposed to familiar people faking distress strongly suggests sympathetic concern,” the Daily Mail quoted Dr Karine Silva as saying.
“Also, it has been reported that untrained dogs may be sensitive to human emergencies and may act appropriately to summon help, which, if true, suggests empathic perspective taking.”
There may be three reasons behind this ability, the researchers said.
Dogs originated from wolves, which have developed empathy towards other species. Because dogs were domesticated, their empathy towards man has been fine-tuned over generations. And breed selection for increasingly difficult tasks, such as herding and helping with disabilities, has led to more complex understanding of human emotion.
The study appears in Royal Society journal Biology Letters. (ANI)
- Dogs yawn hearing master do the same - May 10, 2012
- Can dogs read our minds? - Jun 10, 2011
- Chimps' contagious yawning a sign of empathy, not just sleepiness - Apr 07, 2011
- Chimpanzees have personalities like us - May 24, 2012
- 'Crows highly social like humans' - Sep 13, 2012
- Are You A Cat Or Dog Person? - Jan 12, 2011
- Man cooked food on fire far earlier than originally thought - Aug 23, 2011
- Why yawning is contagious - Sep 16, 2010
- 'Dogs try to comfort people in distress' - Jun 10, 2012
- Mother hens 'can feel their chicks' pain' - Mar 09, 2011
- Patients get well soon with caring doctors - Sep 12, 2012
- Dogs have turned dumb due to years of domestication: Study - Jun 09, 2010
- Fox may have been primitive man's best friend - Jan 28, 2011
- Chimps play cop to uphold peace in group - Mar 09, 2012
- Understanding music in speech makes people empathetic - Jan 28, 2010
Tags: best friend, breed selection, chimpanzees, daily mail, disabilities, dogs, emotional contagion, emotions, empathy, generations, human emergencies, human emotion, journal biology, karine, london feb, perspective, porto in portugal, relatives, silva, wolves