Dogs ‘are brainier than cats’June 17th, 2009 - 4:54 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 17 (ANI): Cat owners might want to skip reading the following lines - a new study has found that dogs are smarter than felines.
Up till now, it was widely believed cats are super smartypants while pooches stand no chance in front of them, when it comes to intelligence. However with the latest study, which involved thought processes of 15 felines, tables have been turned.
To reach the conclusion, the volunteer cats were tested by attaching food to the end of lengths of string and observing whether they could figure out that pulling the line brought the treats closer.
When it came to tackling single pieces of string cats had no problem. But, when faced with two options, experts discovered that unlike their canine counterparts, cats were unable to consistently pick a baited string over a dummy, reports The Telegraph.
Psychology lecturer Britta Osthaus, of Canterbury Christ Church University, Kent, who conducted the study, said: “This finding is somehow surprising as cats regularly use their paws and claws to pull things towards them during play and hunting.
“They performed even worse than dogs, which can at least solve the parallel string task.”
She added that the results show that cats do not understand cause-and-effect connections between objects.
Osthaus added: “I am not trying to say cats are stupid, just they are different. We are so anthropomorphic we can’t see the world through their eyes.” (ANI)
- It's official: Dogs are smarter than cats, but just - Dec 10, 2009
- Dog gave birth to a kitten? Not a cock and bull story - Jul 21, 2012
- British dogs to get anti-depressants - Jun 25, 2012
- Bigger dogs may be smarter than their smaller counterparts - Aug 28, 2010
- Meet the diva pooch that walks on her hind legs, carries her own handbag! - Oct 22, 2010
- Kristen Stewart's 'Twilight' name Bella was 2010's most popular dog name - Jan 07, 2011
- It's official! Dogs are 'smarter than cats' - Nov 23, 2010
- Dog's head size predicts strength, running ability - Feb 01, 2011
- Now, cats that glow in the dark - Sep 12, 2011
- Sleeping with your pooch may be injurious to your health - Jan 22, 2011
- Movie Review: Cats and Dogs (2010) - Aug 21, 2010
- 'Cats and Dogs 2'- pet lovers' delight (IANS Film Review; Rating:**1/2) - Aug 21, 2010
- 'Love, Breakups, Zindagi' makers get PETA award - Nov 08, 2011
- How cats lap up milk so elegantly - Nov 12, 2010
- PETA director Pammie to save dogs affected by oil spill - Jul 31, 2010
Tags: britta, canterbury christ church, canterbury christ church university, cat owners, cats london, cause and effect, christ church university, conclusion, counterparts, dogs, effect connections, hunting, intelligence, osthaus, parallel string, paws and claws, psychology lecturer, smartypants, telegraph, volunteer