Doctors team visit Encephalitis-hit GorakhpurAugust 28th, 2008 - 8:15 pm ICT by ANI
Gorakhpur (Uttar Pradesh), Aug 29 (ANI): A team of doctors deputed by the Union Government, including two from the United States, visited Gorakhpur district of Uttar Pradesh today to examine patients suffering from Encephalitis.
The team, along with the two doctors of US’’s Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, visited Gorakhpur to examine patients and study the virus that causes the disease.
The fatal vector-borne disease spreads through viral infection and has already claimed 171 lives during this season.
” From January 1, record shows that 851 people were admitted out of which 171 people have died, said Lalit Mohan, a doctor at the local BRD hospital to reporters.
Most of the patients fall in the age group of 6 months to 12 years. The death toll due to disease is rising and experts have expressed serious concern.
The disease causes inflammation of the brain. The initial symptoms of the disease are recurring fever and vomiting.
Experts feel that parents as well as the local doctors have failed to understand the seriousness of this mild fever, which can prove to be fatal.
The disease is endemic to the region and experts say that immediate measures are required to contain the virus from spreading. (ANI)
- Acute encephalitis on the rise in Gorakhpur - Jul 31, 2008
- Uttar Pradesh battles viruses, over 200 dead - Sep 10, 2010
- Bihar, Uttar Pradesh battle to contain deadly encephalitis outbreak (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Japanese Encephalitis: Azad visits Gorakhpur - Oct 20, 2011
- Encephalitis scare in UP after 88 deaths - Jun 16, 2012
- Eight die of Japanese Enchephalitis in Gorakhpur - Aug 18, 2009
- Four more encephalitis deaths in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 28, 2010
- GoM on Japanese encephalitis to meet soon: Azad - Nov 08, 2011
- Three more kids die of Japanese encephalitis, toll 332 - Sep 26, 2011
- Encephalitis on rise in Gorakhpur, claims 331 lives - Oct 04, 2009
- Police cane charge violent medics in UP - Sep 04, 2012
- Viral fever grips Gurgaon - Sep 09, 2012
- Encephalitis assumes alarming proportions in UP - May 03, 2009
- Japanese Encephalitis cases on decline - Oct 24, 2011
- Encephalitis kills 200 children in northern India - Aug 25, 2009