Doctors’ strike claims boy’s life at Raipur hospitalJune 24th, 2008 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 24 (IANS) An eight-year-old boy, admitted to the Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar Government Hospital here for acute stomach pain, died as there was no one to attend to him due to an ongoing indefinite strike by junior doctors. The child was brought to the hospital Monday from Nayapara village in Raipur district after he complained of severe stomach ache. His mother alleged that no doctor was available to attend to her son even though they waited for six hours. He died Monday night.
About 300 junior doctors have gone on an indefinite strike over monetary demands since Saturday, crippling the patient care services of the Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar Government Hospital, Chhattisgarh’s biggest public hospital.
Several senior doctors too have gone on leave to avoid patients’ rush due to the junior doctors’ strike. The 700-bed hospital treats on an average about 400 new patients a day.
Dozens of patients admitted to the emergency ward as well as the casualty ward needed urgent medical attention but no doctor was available for surgeries throughout Monday and ward nurses tried to provide temporary relief to them.
Hospital authorities, however, refused to comment on the eight-year-old’s death.
Narendra Narsing, chief of the Junior Doctors’ Association, told reporters Tuesday that they would call off the strike only if their monetary demands, including a hike in the stipend, were accepted by the state government.
State Health Minister Amar Agrawal met a group of junior doctors late Monday along with senior health department officials to break the deadlock. But the meet failed to produce any positive results.
- Strike hits Chhattisgarh's biggest hospital - Dec 11, 2009
- Eight die as emergency services crippled in Andhra hospitals - Feb 11, 2012
- 10 die as emergency services crippled in Andhra hospitals (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Strike cripples Chhattisgarh's largest public hospital - Jun 22, 2008
- Doctors strike paralyses work at Chhattisgarh hospital - Jul 21, 2009
- Chhattisgarh doctors to continue strike despite ESMA - Jun 26, 2008
- Junior doctors in Chhattisgarh call off strike - Jul 25, 2009
- Junior doctors end 14-day strike in Bihar - Jun 28, 2012
- Junior doctors' strike continues in Andhra - Feb 12, 2012
- More Mumbai doctors strike work demanding safety - Sep 09, 2011
- Bihar's junior doctors end strike; legislator surrenders - Feb 04, 2011
- Doctors' strike claims a dozen lives in Bihar - Nov 11, 2009
- Bihar junior doctors' strike claims over two dozen lives - Feb 02, 2011
- Doctors' strike enters fifth day, claims 38 lives - Aug 31, 2009
- Eight children die as junior doctors continue strike - May 08, 2011
Tags: agrawal, bhimrao ambedkar, casualty ward, chhattisgarh, deadlock, emergency ward, government hospital, government state, health department officials, health minister, hospital authorities, indefinite strike, junior doctors association, patient care services, senior health, state health, stipend, stomach pain, temporary relief, urgent medical attention