Do not ignore pain, warns doctorMay 8th, 2008 - 8:37 pm ICT by admin
Ghaziabad, May 8 (IANS) Ignoring persistent pain in any part of the body can lead to serious problems, says Arvinder Singh, a US-based pain management expert. “Chronic pain does not have to be an ongoing cycle of non-scientific band aid treatment. Unrelieved, undiagnosed pain leads to 5-D syndrome,” said Singh, who is based in Albany in New York.
“These syndromes are dysfunction, disuse, disability, drug dependence and depression. These combined together can cause havoc in one’s life,” Singh said in a lecture here.
Referring to the multi-disciplinary team concept (MDTC), he said MDTC was quite effective in curtailing pain but it was seldom practiced.
“Using the MTDC concept, we realise that chronic pain must be approached in a way similar to that of diabetes, hypertension and other chronic illnesses.
“Since the team consists of physicians, psychologists and other paramedical staff, we are able to diagnose the physical condition objectively. The inputs from other specialists help us to plan the treatment properly,” said Singh.
The doctor, however, felt that prevention through education was the best way to check pain.
- Study: Brain stimulation helps lower blood pressure - Jan 25, 2011
- Smoking, chronic pain linked in women - Sep 29, 2011
- Exercise may benefit patients with deep vein thrombosis - Nov 23, 2010
- Women experience chronic pain more often than men: Study - Aug 13, 2010
- Chronic pain hits women much harder than men - Aug 13, 2010
- New study delves deeper into biomedical diagnosis of pain - Aug 17, 2010
- Sleep apnea treatment staves off heart failure - Mar 14, 2012
- Spider venom 'could be the new Viagra' - Mar 08, 2011
- Chocolate may ease symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome - Nov 25, 2010
- Chronic pain takes a toll on primary care providers as well as patients - Dec 17, 2010
- Male Menopause Debate Rages On - Sep 10, 2010
- Manual to be released on Thyroid day Friday - May 24, 2012
- Court notice on plea seeking rules for ill Tihar inmates - Aug 13, 2012
- Why women suffer headaches more than men? - Aug 13, 2010
- Spider bite can trigger four-hour long erections - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: band aid, chronic illnesses, chronic pain, depression, diabetes, disability, drug dependence, education, havoc, hypertension, multi disciplinary team, pain management expert, paramedical staff, persistent pain, physicians, prevention, psychologists, syndromes