Dinosaurs were actually “thin-osaurs”!June 21st, 2009 - 2:19 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 21 (ANI): Tyrannosaurus rex, the best-known predatory species, may have been far more lithe than previously thought, researchers have discovered.
In a new study, boffins have claimed that dinosaurs may have been much lighter and sleeker than earlier believed because of potential flaws in the equations used to calculate their weight, reports The Times.
“Palaeontologists have for 25 years used a statistical model to estimate the body weight of giant dinosaurs and other extraordinarily large extinct animals,” said Gary Packard, from Colorado State University, whose research will appear in the Zoological Society of London’s Journal of Zoology this week.
“We have found that the statistical model is seriously flawed and the giant dinosaurs probably were only about half as heavy as is generally believed,” the expert added.
Up till now, dinosaurs have been shown as well-rounded, powerful animals, when they are more likely to have been skinny and muscular.
The new findings would suggest that these animals were leaner and faster, needed less food and had significant differences in lifestyle from what was previously thought. (ANI)
- Dinosaurs were actually "thin-osaurs" - Jun 26, 2009
- T Rex was able to outpace any prey due to its strong tail: Study - Nov 17, 2010
- Dinosaurs may have been smaller than previously believed - Jun 23, 2009
- T. rex hunted like a lion, did not scavenge like a hyena - Jan 26, 2011
- Tyrannosaurus Rex Cannibal Instincts Discovered - Oct 18, 2010
- T. rex's powerful long tail was its key to speed and hunting prowess - Nov 16, 2010
- T.rex was 'more hyena than lion' - Feb 23, 2011
- Scientists discover T. Rex's feathered kin - Apr 08, 2012
- T.Rex was a ruthless 'baby killer' - Aug 05, 2009
- Experts debate over species of dino fossil - Oct 12, 2010
- Were the ancestors of T.rex vegetarian? - Dec 21, 2010
- Fearsome T.rex was a cannibal - Oct 16, 2010
- New 230mn-yr-old predator 'dawn runner' discovered in South America - Jan 14, 2011
- T-rex was a cowardly bully who picked on runts - Aug 25, 2009
- Research exposes dinos as chicken-hearted baby-killers - Aug 07, 2009
Tags: colorado state university, extinct animals, gary packard, giant dinosaurs, journal of zoology, june 21, Life Style, predatory species, statistical model, tyrannosaurus rex, zoological society of london