Difference between psychiatrist and psychologistJuly 23rd, 2008 - 3:54 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Psychologists and psychiatrists often work together for the well-being of the client, their job descriptions overlap. There are several crucial differences between a psychologist and psychiatrist.
A psychiatrist attends medical school and is a physician , holds an M.D. degree and is specialized training in the field of psychiatry. A psychiatry mainly focus on the use of medications for treatment and they spend much of their time with patients on medication management as a course of treatment.
Their experience typically involves working in the psychiatric unit of a hospital with a variety of patients, from children and adolescents with behavior disorders to adults with severe cases of mental illness.
A psychologist holds a doctoral degree (Ph.D., Psy.D., or Ed.D.) from a university and the degree will be in Clinical Psychology.Psychologists focus extensively on psychotherapy and treating emotional and mental suffering in patients with behavioral intervention.
The education of psychologists provides a knowledge of psychological and emotional problems, personality, and human development, integrated with specialized training in how to apply this knowledge to helping people with emotional distress and other problems in living. The psychologist’s training in research allows them to evaluate the best ways to help people and to make “evidence-based” decisions regarding what helps and what doesn’t help different people with various situations.
The use of psychological tests requires years of training that involves not only learning how to give the tests, but also how to integrate all the information from a variety of tests, background information, interviews, and knowledge of theories, research, psychological problems, personalities, and human development.
Psychology students are required to complete an internship. The internships includes:
* methods of treatment
* problem-solving techniques
* psychological theory
* behavioral therapy
- Wheelchair yoga may accelerate stroke patients' recovery process - Jan 19, 2011
- Five mental clinics to come up in Jammu region - Jul 02, 2012
- Cognitive behavioral therapy plus medication may help adults with ADHD - Aug 25, 2010
- Faith in God armours you against uncertainties - Aug 07, 2011
- Over 35,000 drug users treated in China - Oct 01, 2011
- Tackling obesity in young people - Oct 21, 2010
- Talk therapy for India's depressed (Feature) - Apr 25, 2012
- Yoga effective in treating psychiatric disorders - Sep 20, 2011
- Sex addiction to be formally recognised as a psychiatric disorder - Mar 14, 2011
- Medication common practice for insomnia in kids - Jul 27, 2010
- Aggressive kids don't respond to maternal affection - Nov 17, 2010
- Distressed personality linked to heart problems - Sep 15, 2010
- Exam time: Another helpline for stressed students - Feb 10, 2012
- India to turn out 1,750 mental health workers a year - Jan 20, 2010
- Psychopaths lack empathy just like patients with frontal head injury - Jan 26, 2011