Diabetes linked to dementiaMarch 6th, 2009 - 2:48 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 6 (ANI): Blindness, renal failure, stroke and heart disease are potential complications of type 2 diabetes. Now, a new study has found that diabetes can be a risk factor accelerating cognitive decline and dementia too.
In the study, Dr. Tali Cukierman-Yaffe, a physician and researcher from research from Tel Aviv Universitys Sackler School of Medicine, found that people with diabetes were 1.5 more likely to experience cognitive decline, and 1.6 more likely to suffer from dementia than people without diabetes.
The study suggests that higher-than-average levels of blood glucose (blood sugar) may have a role in this relationship.
Our results send an important message to the public. We have shown conclusively that there is a relationship between diabetes and cognitive dysfunction. This should be known by diabetics and their doctors. Knowledge is the first step towards action, said Dr. Cukierman-Yaffe.
Intact thinking is essential for managing the disease, Dr. Cukierman-Yaffe added
The study has shown that in people with type 2 diabetes, higher levels of haemoglobin A1C (a measure of average blood glucose) are significantly associated with poorer performance on three cognitive tasks which require memory, speed and ability to manage multiple tasks at the same time.
A higher A1C level was also associated with a lower score on a test of global cognitive function.
The results of the study suggest that lowering A1C levels could slow the accelerated rate of cognitive decline experienced by people with diabetes.
However, prospective studies and clinical trials are needed in order to prove this.
The study has been published in the journal Diabetes Care. (ANI)
- Diabetes also attacks mind - Mar 06, 2009
- Study reveals that Sleep apnea is linked to dementia - Aug 10, 2011
- Blood glucose levels indicator of retinopathy risk - Feb 15, 2011
- Scientists uncover gut bug link to type 2 diabetes - Mar 14, 2012
- New guidelines urge blood test that gives blood sugar average for diagnosis - Dec 30, 2009
- Pregnant diabetics more prone to birth defect: Study - Apr 05, 2012
- White rice increases risk of type 2 diabetes - Mar 16, 2012
- 2 tests better than 1 for diagnosing diabetes in overweight children - May 03, 2011
- High risk of heart disease in preadolescent kids with type 1diabetes - Feb 15, 2011
- New device to make blood glucose testing easier - Mar 16, 2011
- Chromosome caps predict onset of dementia - Feb 13, 2010
- Pair of liver molecules could control diabetes - Apr 09, 2012
- Caffeine contributes to development, poor control of diabetes? - Apr 08, 2011
- Low levels of Omega fatty acids weaken memory - Feb 28, 2012
- Does air pollution erode mental sharpness? - Feb 14, 2012
Tags: blindness, blood glucose, blood sugar, clinical trials, cognitive decline, cognitive dysfunction, cognitive function, cognitive tasks, dementia, diabetes care, diabetics, haemoglobin, heart disease, journal diabetes, memory speed, prospective studies, renal failure, risk factor, school of medicine, type 2 diabetes