Delhi Sultanate era silver coins found in Uttar PradeshMarch 12th, 2009 - 5:18 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 12 (IANS) As many as 62 silver coins, appearing to be from 13th century Delhi Sultanate period, have been found in Uttar Pradesh’s Bareilly district, an official said Thursday.
A group of 50 labourers digging a drain in the Alakabad village in the district, under the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS), came across the silver coins Tuesday, district chief development officer (CDO) Padam Singh told IANS over telephone.
He said the labourers did not reveal their find and distributed the coins among themselves. However, some of the labourers, who were not satisfied with their share, told the authorities about the coins, Singh said, adding that the coins were then seized from the labourers and deposited in the treasury.
The area from where the coins were recovered has been cordoned-off. “No one is being allowed to enter the area,” Singh said.
He said the coins appear to date back to 13th century as they bear Arabic inscriptions and are dated equivalent to the period 1218-1229.
A team of the Archeological Survey of India (ASI) officials from Lucknow has been called to study the coins.
“The ASI officials are expected to arrive tomorrow (Friday) and will also visit the area for their study,” Singh said.
Bareilly is some 250 km from Lucknow.
- UP village labourers find ancient coins while digging up a drain - Mar 11, 2009
- Silver coins from Raj days unearthed in Tripura - Aug 15, 2011
- UP government transfers 109 officials - Apr 07, 2012
- Gupta empire era sites restored in Madhya Pradesh - Jul 19, 2011
- (After 1)Eighth-century Bihar university set for conservation - Nov 02, 2011
- Like Nalanda, Vikramshila may rise from ruins - Jan 24, 2012
- Himachal to turn temple gold into mementoes - Jul 08, 2012
- Hellenistic coins dating back Alexander the Great's era found in northern Syria - Mar 03, 2010
- Artifacts dating back to Harappan era unearthed in Jharkhand - Jun 26, 2010
- Himachal's abandoned Hul mines get global attention - May 01, 2011
- Bihar stupa could contain Buddha relics - Feb 11, 2012
- Drug peddlers arrested in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 02, 2010
- Chopper over Taj causes flutter, ASI files complaint - Dec 16, 2011
- Man gets death sentence for raping, killing child - Oct 27, 2010
- ASI to excavates ruins near Vikramshila University - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: 13th century, arabic inscriptions, archeological survey of india, authorities, bareilly district, chief development officer, delhi sultanate, guarantee scheme, labourers, nregs, padam singh, silver coins, sultanate period, treasury