Delhi mayor orders survey to ascertain slum populationMay 28th, 2009 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 28 (IANS) Mayor Kanwar Sain Thursday pulled up the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) slum department “for sitting on files endlessly” and ordered a fresh survey of slum dwellers and encroachments in the national capital.
“Since 1994 there has been no survey of slum properties. So it is difficult to ascertain the number of slum dwellers and status of encroached public lands in Delhi.
“I have directed officers that they must immediately form a committee or team which will look into this work and report back to me with details in 15 days time,” Sain said.
On inspecting the slum and JJ (jhuggi-jhopadi) department offices, Sain found that files dated 2008 had not been processed or cleared.
“System of the file going to multiple people is very long. Encroachments are not even removed as a result of the files not being cleared. Slum encroachments on any government land - be it Delhi government, DDA, corporation land - should be ordered to be cleared immediately… else they’d become more difficult to remove over time,” Sain said.
“It is a fact that most of the people here are sitting idle working on files endlessly,” he added.
After detailed discussions with department officials including the additional commissioner R.D. Srivastava and others, Sain has asked them to simplify and cut short the cumbersome procedures to make the slum wing more “people-friendly”.
He added that during discussions officials spoke of working constraints hampering functioning like that of several positions not being filled up.
This, he said would be dealt with at the earliest adding that he would conduct fortnightly meetings with the department officials to address their grievances.
- Court stays demolition of slums in west Delhi - Mar 25, 2011
- Delhi High Court directs DDA to take encroached land back - May 02, 2012
- Over 4,200 illegal settlements on railway land in national capital region - Aug 04, 2011
- Delhi land scam: Charges to be framed against 10 accused - May 05, 2012
- We have reclaimed land from mosque, DDA tells court - Jan 14, 2011
- Homes demolished for CWG, hundreds still suffer - Mar 31, 2011
- High court issues notice to Bukhari, ASI (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Thousands left homeless as jhuggis gutted in Delhi - Jun 01, 2012
- Civic leaders meet Chidambaram for better slum management - Jan 05, 2010
- Slums to go from near railway tracks - Sep 02, 2011
- Court asks illegal Delhi mosque to relocate - Mar 21, 2011
- Rehabilitate slum dwellers, rules court - Feb 11, 2010
- Delhi civic agency given 4 months to clear encroachments - May 12, 2010
- Court notice over legislator's encroachment of DDA land - Feb 23, 2012
- Delhi government allots flats to 500 slum dwellers - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: constraints, dda, delhi government, department officials, encroachments, fortnightly meetings, government land, grievances, kanwar, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, New Delhi, population, public lands, slum dwellers, srivastava