Delhi civic agency hastens to clean drainsJune 6th, 2009 - 6:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 6 (IANS) The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) Saturday said that its senior officials had been directed to ensure that all silt and muck in drains and on roads are cleaned up before the monsoon.
In a meeting with senior MCD engineers and the additional commissioner, MCD standing committee chairman Ram Kishan Singhal said that to ensure that heaps of silt do not result in “insanitary conditions” during the rains, the process to clean up the city’s drains and roads must be hastened.
“While passing through the roads, it is a common sight to see malba (silt) lying here and there. Residents have a tendency of throwing garbage on the heaps of malba. It leads to insanitary conditions during rainy season. An exercise to remove this should begin from Monday,” Singhal told the engineers.
Singhal also asked MCD commissioner K.S. Mehra to identify the sites where residents throw garbage.
“These sites should be properly barricaded and the malba removed on a regular basis. This will prevent people from throwing muck all over the place,” Singhal said.
Ahead of the monsoon, agencies like the MCD, New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) and the Delhi Jal Board (DJB) are attempting to clean drains full of months of accumulated rubbish to avoid waterlogging on the roads.
- Are Delhi agencies geared to tackle monsoon? - Jul 06, 2012
- Court seeks report from civic agencies on water-logging - Jul 11, 2012
- Will Delhi weather the storm this monsoon? - Jul 01, 2010
- Dikshit alerts civic agencies before monsoon - Jun 14, 2012
- Hygiene in Delhi: Court notice to civic agencies (Lead) - Dec 14, 2011
- Delhi waterlogging: Civic agencies ignored police warning - Aug 24, 2010
- Prepared to tackle flood like situation in Delhi: Dikshit - Jul 10, 2009
- Civic agency leader moves Delhi court on cleaning drains - Jun 25, 2012
- Set up committee to prevent waterlogging, says high court - Aug 28, 2012
- Draw up drainage action plan: MCD to Delhi government (Lead) - Jul 15, 2010
- Day after rain chaos, MCD plays blame game - Sep 16, 2011
- Court asks Delhi authorities to file ATR on water logging - Aug 01, 2012
- One deadline missed, MCD sets another for Games projects (Commonwealth Games Countdown) - Jul 06, 2010
- Court seeks report on water-logging in Delhi - Aug 07, 2012
- When an inundated Delhi reminded one of Venice! - Sep 09, 2011
Tags: committee chairman, delhi jal board djb, garbage, heaps, jal, malba, monsoon, muck, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, ndmc, New Delhi, rainy season, ram kishan, rubbish, senior officials, silt, singhal, standing committee, tendency