Delay in becoming a mum may be riskySeptember 16th, 2009 - 1:12 pm ICT by ANI
London, September 16 (ANI): Women who have their first baby at an advanced maternal age may be more at risk of complications, says a recent UK study.
The team at the University of Cambridge found women who started menstruation early, from the age of 12 onwards, were more likely to require medical assistance during childbirth such as forceps, or a Caesarean section.
The effect was taken care of if these women began a family at an early age.
But such was not the case for older mothers. Previous research also found that the risk of a medically-assisted delivery shot up with a woman’s age at the time of her first birth.
“The main significance of this study is not that menarche is usefully predictive of the risk of complications, but that the current finding sheds light on why advanced maternal age at the time of first birth might be associated with increased risks,” The BBC quoted Researcher Professor Gordon Smith as saying.
Professor Philip Steer, BJOG editor-in-chief, however, added larger investigation was required before reaching conclusions about the impact of early onset of menstruation in women.
He advised: “It is particularly important for them to ensure they lead healthy lifestyles and maintain a normal body weight, as a high BMI during pregnancy is itself associated with poor uterine contractions and an increased need for operative delivery.”
The University of Cambridge study has been published in BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. (ANI)
- Babies born by caesarean 'are calmer' - Nov 04, 2010
- Forced birth may cause emotional problems for babies - Nov 04, 2010
- Women fearing childbirth have longer labour - Jun 27, 2012
- Obese pregnant women 'more likely to have complicated births' - Jan 26, 2011
- Pregnancy-related cancers up by 70 percent - Sep 11, 2012
- Having epidurals during labour may protect key muscles - Aug 26, 2010
- Best time for birth of twins is 37 weeks - Jun 15, 2012
- Link between low birth weight and H1N1 flu revealed - May 03, 2011
- Gestational diabetes patients face increased recurrence risk in later pregnancies - Jul 12, 2010
- New blood test will warn of premature births - Sep 06, 2011
- One out of 30 babies born in US is a twin - Apr 03, 2012
- Scientists warn of dangers in delaying motherhood - Apr 08, 2012
- Starting periods before the age of 10 ups risk of lung complaints in future - Apr 06, 2011
- Women take longer to deliver babies than 50 years ago - Apr 01, 2012
- Shabana willing to bring MPs on board for maternal mortality - Nov 24, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,