Dark chocolate can help lower high BPNovember 12th, 2010 - 1:59 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 12 (ANI): Want to keep your blood pressure under control? Start eating dark chocolate, scientists say.
It is already known that dark chocolate contains high levels of antioxidants that are thought to be beneficial to health.
Now, a team of researchers in Sweden have revealed that dark chocolate works on the body in the same way as blood pressure pills.
They discovered that dark chocolate, which contains large amounts of cocoa, inhibits an enzyme that raises blood pressure.
Study’s lead author Ingrid Persson said that it contains high levels of compounds called catechins and procyanidines, both of which have been shown to affect blood pressure.
She added that with other factors such as a balanced diet and not smoking, dark chocolate could be a good way to lower risk of heart disease and stroke.
In the study, 10 men and six women had blood samples taken before and after eating 75 grams of dark chocolate - a large piece. Within three hours, the team saw that a blood pressure enzyme known as ACE had been inhibited by up to 18 per cent.
This is as effective as ACE inhibitor drugs currently given to the millions of patients with high blood pressure.
“We have previously shown that green tea inhibits the enzyme ACE, which is involved in the body’s fluid balance and blood pressure regulation,” the Daily Express quoted Perrson as saying. (ANI)
- Unsweetened chocolate protects heart by tackling high BP - Nov 12, 2010
- Want to lose weight? Eat dark chocolate! - May 02, 2011
- Dark chocolate may reduce cardio risks, study shows - Apr 25, 2012
- Study reveals that chocolate reduces Blood Pressure - Aug 16, 2012
- Dark chocolate reduces risk of cardiac fatalities - Jun 04, 2012
- Hidden health benefits of Christmas food revealed - Dec 13, 2010
- Chocolate good for heart, diabetic patients: Study - Jun 04, 2010
- Go for dark chocolate, red wine to keep your partner heart-healthy this Valentine's - Feb 11, 2011
- Dark chocolate good for liver disease patients - Apr 16, 2010
- New method to find flavanol antioxidant content in cocoa, chocolate - Feb 15, 2011
- 'Super food' dark chocolates are healthier than fruits: Study - Feb 07, 2011
- Can dark chocolate control diabetics' cholesterol levels? - Oct 18, 2010
- Dark chocolate may be good for your heart - Aug 17, 2010
- Chocolate good for health: Study - Mar 25, 2010
- How chocolates protect against heart disease - Feb 08, 2011
Tags: ace inhibitor drugs, antioxidants, balanced diet, blood pressure regulation, blood samples, bp, chocolate works, cocoa, compounds, daily express, dark chocolate, fluid balance, green tea, heart disease, high blood pressure, pills, risk of heart disease, scientists, stroke, sweden