Daman and Diu has worst sex ratio in IndiaJune 27th, 2008 - 12:34 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 26 (IANS) The union territory of Daman and Diu has the lowest sex ratio in the country - 710 women for every 1,000 men, an association of gynecologists said Thursday. The Associations of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Delhi (AOGD) found that Kerala has the best ratio (1,058 women for 1,000 men).
The association members said not many people know about the bad reputation of the union territory south of Gujarat and north of Maharashtra, and rampant female foeticide there.
They said district-wise, Mahe district of Puducherry has the best sex ratio at 1,147 women for every 1,000 men. Daman of Daman and Diu has the lowest sex ratio for a district, an alarming 591 women for 1,000 men.
Gynecologists will hold a rally at the India Gate here July 1 to protest a large number of female foeticide - estimated at at least 2,000 a day in India.
They will march in a silent rally and take a pledge at the Amar Jawan Jyoti to create awareness among people to fight the menace, the association members told reporters.
“All the gynecologists there will take a pledge to change the mindset of people towards the girl child. There is a need to create awareness among people regarding the plight of the girl child in our society,” AOGD president Indrani Ganguli said.
- Goa to give women Rs.1 lakh for wedding expenses - Jul 06, 2012
- Census highlights: India home to 17.5 percent of world population - Mar 31, 2011
- President concerned over declining sex ratio - Jan 14, 2012
- Jharkhand sex ratio above national average - Sep 21, 2011
- Sex ratio declining in Kashmir - Mar 20, 2012
- Rajya Sabha members express concern over poor sex ratio - Mar 19, 2012
- Cradle in every village - to save the girl child (With Images) - May 24, 2011
- Lowest in literacy but with highest sex ratio - Apr 07, 2011
- Haryana takes another step to stop female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- 'Satyameva Jayate' inspires sarpanch to act against female foeticide - May 24, 2012
- Haryana introduces mother-new born tracking software - Jul 03, 2011
- Kinnaur -- where improved literacy is leading to dismal sex ratio! - Apr 08, 2011
- 'Health ministry to expand female foeticide project in Haryana' - Nov 04, 2010
- Severely punish culprits of female foeticide: Aamir - Jul 11, 2012
- Miss Universe, Sanjana Jon extend support to stop female foeticide in India - Jan 29, 2011
Tags: amar jawan jyoti, association members, bad reputation, best sex, daman and diu, female foeticide, ganguli, girl child, gujarat, india gate, indrsex ratio, kerala, maharashtra, mahe, mindset, obstetricians and gynecologists, puducherry, territory south, union territory of daman and diu