Dalai Lama operated upon to remove gallstones (Third lead)October 10th, 2008 - 7:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Dharamsala, Oct 10 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama, who underwent an operation for removal of gall stones at the Sir Ganga Ram Hospital in New Delhi Friday morning, could be discharged in the next two days, a doctor at the hospital said. The Dalai Lama was admitted to the Sir Ganga Ram hospital Thursday with complaints of severe abdominal pain.
“It was a normal surgery and he is now fine. He could be discharged in the next day or two,” a doctor at the hospital said, declining to be named.
On Monday, the 73-year-old Nobel laureate’s office in Dharamsala - the Himachal Pradesh town where the Tibetan government-in-exile has its headquarters - had said the Dalai Lama would reach the capital for a routine medical check-up.
“There is no cause for worry. The doctors have advised him bed rest for a few more days in the hospital,” Tenzin Takhla, a senior aide to the exiled leader, told IANS.
“He (the Dalai Lama) is likely to go back to routine affairs by the end of this month and there is no change to his planned visit to Japan in November,” Takhla said.
The Dalai Lama has been going through repeated medical tests since August and has cancelled some trips outside India. He was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital in Mumbai twice in August after he complained of “abdominal discomfort”.
US President George W. Bush had telephoned the spiritual guru to inquire about his health last month.
In recent years, doctors have increased the medical examinations on him to ensure that the Tibetan spiritual leader is in good health.
He made his first public appearance after nearly one month during a teaching ceremony at McLeodganj near Dharamsala Sep 25.
The Dalai Lama has lived in India since fleeing his homeland in 1959. His government-in-exile is not recognised by any country.
- Dalai Lama in Delhi for eye check-up (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- Dalai Lama stable, to be discharged soon - Oct 11, 2008
- Dalai Lama operated upon to remove gallstones (Second Lead) - Oct 10, 2008
- Dalai Lama heads to Delhi for medical examination - Jan 19, 2012
- Dalai Lama operated upon to remove gallbladder stones (Lead) - Oct 10, 2008
- On Dalai Lama's birthday, prayers for his long life - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama uses donations to fund hospital - Feb 05, 2011
- Chinese spy held near Dalai Lama palace - Mar 20, 2012
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- China, not Dalai Lama, to be blamed for self-immolations: Sangay - Mar 10, 2012
- Dalai Lama prays for Leh, Tibet cloudburst victims - Aug 14, 2010
- Indian foreign secretary meets Dalai Lama - Jun 07, 2012
- The Dalai Lama: Torn between Tibet and India! - Mar 03, 2012
- Dalai Lama in Delhi hospital after abdominal pain - Oct 10, 2008
Tags: dalai lama, first public appearance, ganga ram hospital, lilavati hospital, nobel laureate, routine medical check, sir ganga ram hospital, spiritual guru, tibetan government in exile, tibetan spiritual leader