Culling begins in West Bengal town hit by bird fluMarch 20th, 2008 - 3:12 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata, March 20 (IANS) West Bengal Thursday began culling operations in bird flu-hit areas of Malda district with a target to slaughter about 44,000 poultry birds in English Bazaar town within four days. “We have already deployed our Rapid Response Teams (RRT) to the bird flu-affected areas in Malda. The culling operation has started in the morning,” West Bengal Animal Resources Development (ARD) Minister Anisur Rahman told IANS.
He said the culling drive was started from a state-run poultry farm where the bird flu strain had first surfaced.
About 200 chickens have died at the state-run poultry farm since March 13.
The bird flu in English Bazaar was confirmed Wednesday after blood samples sent to Bhopal’s animal disease laboratory tested positive.
“According to the central government’s notification, the culling drive will also cover an area within a three-kilometre radius of the poultry farm,” he said.
According to ARD department sources, over 28,000 poultry birds were culled in Murshidabad district, adjoining Malda, last week.
“We expect to complete the culling operation within four days,” Malda deputy ARD director N.K Shit told IANS.
A bird flu outbreak was first confirmed in West Bengal Jan 15, affecting the districts of South 24 Parganas, Howrah, Hooghly, Birbhum, South Dinajpur, Murshidabad, Nadia, Burdwan, Bankura, Malda, Cooch Behar, Purulia and West Midnapore.
Around four million poultry birds were culled and the spread of the disease brought under control then.
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
- Culling continues in avian flu-hit district of Meghalaya - Jan 13, 2012
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu - Mar 23, 2011
- Disinfection in Meghalaya bird flu-hit area completed - Jan 22, 2012
- India confirms bird flu in Bengal, PM concerned - Sep 20, 2011
- Over 6,200 poultry culled after fresh flu in Tripura - Feb 02, 2012
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- Over 20,000 poultry culled in West Bengal - Dec 20, 2008
- West Bengal starts 3-day culling in bird flu hit Malda (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2008
- Over 22,000 poultry culled in bird flu-hit Malda - Dec 21, 2008
- Fresh death of fowls, culling continues in Meghalaya - Jan 15, 2012
- Meghalaya culls 5,000 birds - Jan 18, 2012
- Tripura on bird flu alert; central teams arrive - Feb 19, 2011
- Bird flu: Culling of birds planned in Bhubaneswar (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
Tags: animal disease, animal resources, anisur rahman, bankura, birbhum, bird flu, bird flu outbreak, burdwan, cooch behar, dinajpur, disease laboratory, flu strain, hooghly, howrah, kilometre radius, midnapore, poultry farm, purulia, rapid response teams, west bengal