Crowded markets, traffic jams on DhanterasOctober 24th, 2011 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 24 (IANS) Hundreds of shoppers thronged brightly-lit city markets Monday to make purchases on Dhanteras, considered an auspicious occasion to buy things like gold, utensils or household goods ahead of Diwali, leading to massive traffic jams across the city.
Despite it being a weekday, long queues of cars could be seen around many markets as shoppers made last minute purchases.
“The crowds are pouring in by the hour and the market is bursting at the seams. Apart from the Dhanteras shopping, customers are splurging on Diwali related goods too,” Sanjeev Mehra, president of the Khan Market association, told IANS.
However, the strict security measures this year did not allow shopkeepers to display products outside their shops.
“The customers are left disappointed because the products are not displayed in the open,” added Mehra.
According to Mohan Kukreja, president of Sarojini Nagar Market Association, the crowds would increase in the evening and especially Tuesday as many would foray to the market for last-minute Diwali shopping.
“Tomorrow (Tuesday) there will be a huge rush because of Diwali,” said Kukreja.
Candles, diyas, incense sticks and statues of lord Ganesha and Goddess Laxmi were seling like hot cakes as on Dhanteras many households perform ‘Laxmi Puja’ in the evenings.
“I have bought a gold chain, some steel glasses on Dhanteras. I hope Goddess Laxmi will bless us with prosperity and wealth,” said 52-year-old home maker Sujata Bansal.
Meanwhile, there were some shopkeepers who admitted that there was rush in the markets but that did not necessarily convert into greater sales.
“The markets are full but the sales have dropped by around 25 percent compared to last year because people are scared to venture out due to terror threats,” said S.K. Bakshi, president of Lajpat Nagar Market Association.
“We are expecting the crowds to increase,” he added.
- Terror e-mail holds back shoppers in Delhi, suburbs - Sep 13, 2011
- Terror bid unveiled, but Delhiites' festive spirits still high - Oct 14, 2011
- Delhi markets deserted after Mumbai blasts - Jul 14, 2011
- On Dhanteras, it's gold that glitters in Delhi - Oct 15, 2009
- Record Dhanteras shopping notched up in Raipur - Nov 04, 2010
- Dhanteras shoppers choke Delhi roads - Nov 04, 2010
- Delhi's firecracker shops get crackling - Oct 23, 2011
- Terror alert holds back weekend shoppers in Delhi (Lead) - May 02, 2010
- Cheer for buyers as gold prices dip on Akshaya Tritiya (Roundup) - May 06, 2011
- Fresh terror alerts in Delhi, security beefed up (Roundup) - May 01, 2010
- Dhanteras fails to draw shoppers in Chennai - Oct 26, 2008
- Road rage: Khan Market accident waiting to happen? - Jan 12, 2011
- Gold rush before Dhanteras: Jewellers - Oct 23, 2011
- Shopping spree begins in capital as Eid nears (With Images) - Sep 18, 2009
- Delhiites throng markets for last minute Diwali shopping (Lead) - Oct 17, 2009
Tags: auspicious occasion, bakshi, city markets, dhanteras, diwali, foray, goddess laxmi, gold chain, hot cakes, household goods, incense sticks, khan market, kukreja, laxmi puja, lord ganesha, massive traffic jams, mohan, queues, strict security, sujata