Cranberry juice not effective against urinary tract infections: StudyDecember 9th, 2010 - 12:44 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 9 (ANI): A new study has suggested that cranberry juice is not effective against urinary tract infections.
Drinking cranberry juice has been recommended to decrease the incidence of urinary tract infections, based on observational studies and a few small clinical trials. However, the new study suggests otherwise.
College-aged women who tested positive for having a urinary tract infection were assigned to drink eight ounces of cranberry juice or a placebo twice a day for either six months or until a recurrence of a urinary tract infection, whichever happened first.
Of the participants who suffered a second urinary tract infection, the cranberry juice drinkers had a recurrence rate of almost 20 percent, while those who drank the placebo suffered only a 14 percent recurrence.
“We assumed that we would observe a 30 percent recurrence rate among the placebo group. It is possible that the placebo juice inadvertently contained the active ingredients that reduce urinary tract infection risk, since both juices contained Vitamin C,” said study author Betsy Foxman of the University of Michigan School of Public Health in Ann Arbor.
“Another possibility is that the study protocol kept participants better hydrated, leading them to urinate more frequently, therefore decreasing bacterial growth and reducing urinary tract infection symptoms,” she said.
The study has been published in the January 1 issue of Clinical Infectious Diseases. (ANI)
- Cranberry Juice may help in kids' bladder infections - Sep 10, 2012
- Cranberry juice fights urinary infection - Sep 16, 2010
- How cranberry juice battles urinary tract infections - Jul 16, 2010
- Drinking 100-pc fruit juice 'as healthy as eating whole fruits' - Apr 12, 2011
- Cranberry juice can block Staph infections - Sep 02, 2010
- Cranberry juice better at fighting bugs - Oct 30, 2011
- Cranberry juice fails to combat urinary tract infections - Aug 25, 2009
- 'Drink lemonade to prevent kidney stones' - Apr 23, 2010
- Yogurt-like drink DanActive cuts rate of common infections in daycare kids - May 20, 2010
- How E. coli triggers urinary infections - Jan 19, 2012
- New testing method for cranberry products to know UTI treatments' efficacy - Apr 22, 2010
- Amar Singh's medical reports paint grim picture - Sep 14, 2011
- Most sick newborns have kidney problem: Study (March 11 is World Kidney Day) - Mar 11, 2010
- 'Kids dehydrate as they hardly drink during breakfast' - May 03, 2012
- Cranberry can help prevent urinary tract infections - Mar 10, 2009
Tags: active ingredients, bacterial growth, clinical infectious diseases, clinical trials, foxman, infection risk, infectious diseases, juices, michigan school, observational studies, placebo group, recurrence rate, school of public health, study author, study protocol, university of michigan school of public health, urinary tract infection, urinary tract infection symptoms, urinary tract infections, vitamin c