Cows with names produce more milkJanuary 28th, 2009 - 11:51 am ICT by ANI
London, Jan 28 (ANI): Cows with names make 3.4 percent more milk in a year than those animals whore not named, say UK scientists.
The research, which involved 516 dairy farmers, was conducted by Dr Catherine Douglas and Dr Peter Rowlinson at Newcastle University.
The study found that treating the animals as individuals also increased production.
The average amount of milk produced by a cow over its annual 10 month lactation period is 13,198 pints (7,500 litres). Those cows with names had an average higher milk yield of 454 pints (258 litres), reports the Telegraph.
Dr Douglas, from the School of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development at Newcastle University, said: “Just as people respond better to the personal touch, cows also feel happier and more relaxed if they are given a bit more one-to-one attention.
“Many farmers dote on their cows and have long thought that such interaction helps, but it has never really been tested.
“The statistics were significantly different for those cows with name - there was nothing else which could explain it.”
The study, which looks at interaction between people and animals, found milk yield to be lower on farms where cattle were herded as a group.
The study has been published in the academic journal Anthrozoos. (ANI)
- Want more milk, just give your cow a name - Jan 28, 2009
- British scientists to study how cows make friends! - Jul 30, 2012
- Gas-mask bra designers win Ig Nobel prize - Oct 02, 2009
- UP plans to set up milk plant in Lucknow - Aug 08, 2012
- Punjab imports cattle semen to improve milch breeds - Apr 27, 2012
- Hare Krishna sect cows' 'ahimsa' milk amidst mantras is UK's costliest! - Nov 06, 2010
- British cattle factory to house 8,000 cows - Aug 06, 2010
- Punjab-Israel to tie-up for dairy farming - Jun 05, 2012
- Indian ban to hit Pashupatinath's festival in Nepal - Feb 20, 2011
- GM cows produce 'human' breast milk - Apr 03, 2011
- Murrah milk drives Haryana's white revolution - Aug 22, 2012
- Hill cow's milk can prevent heart disease? - Jan 22, 2012
- Untied cows produce less milk than tied cattle - Feb 16, 2010
- Haryana farmers can now own 'imported' calves - Nov 16, 2010
- Study: Some baby formulas may cause faster weight gain - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,