Cow’s milk good for newbornsJuly 15th, 2010 - 12:13 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 15 (ANI): Mothers who feed their babies cow’s milk in the first 15 days of life may be protecting their children from dangerous allergies later on, says a new study.
“Women who regularly (daily) introduced their babies to cow milk protein early, before 15 days of life, almost completely eliminated the incidence of allergy to cow milk protein in their babies,” says Prof. Yitzhak Katz of Tel Aviv University’s Department of Pediatrics, Sackler Faculty of Medicine.
Babies on a cow milk diet for 15 days were almost completely protected from developing Cows Milk Protein Allergy (CMA).
CMA can cause rashes, respiratory problems, shock and even death.
Although the exact amount is still unknown, the paediatrician suggests a single bottle-feed at night for those mothers who are breastfeeding.
The study also reveals that three-to-five month period is the worst time to expose a baby to cow’s milk.
If not exposed earlier, he suggests waiting until the child is one year old to introduce cow’s milk into the diet.
The findings are reported in a recent issue of the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. (ANI)
- Cow's milk protects babies from allergies later - Jul 15, 2010
- Babies Need More Than Breast Milk, Study Reveals - Jan 15, 2011
- Cloudy future for humanised cow's milk - Apr 06, 2011
- Breast milk antibodies help neutralize HIV - May 23, 2012
- China to create alternative to human breast milk - Apr 15, 2011
- New breastfeeding advice leaves mums livid, baffled - Jan 15, 2011
- Half of new mums not comfy with breastfeeding in public - Jun 17, 2010
- Now, genetically modified cows that produce 'human' breast milk! - Apr 03, 2011
- GM cows produce 'human' breast milk - Apr 03, 2011
- Breastfeeding can benefit even the sickest babies - Oct 28, 2010
- Lose weight post-pregnancy - but don't rush it - Jun 15, 2012
- Eating Peanuts While Pregnant Linked to Allergies in Baby - Nov 03, 2010
- Breast fed kids to develop nut allergies - Jul 13, 2012
- 6-month drug regimen 'reduces HIV risk for breastfeeding infants' - Mar 03, 2011
- Babies can be given solid food earlier than six months - Jan 14, 2011
Tags: allergies, babies, cow milk, cows milk, faculty of medicine, katz, medicine, milk diet, milk protein allergy, newborns, paediatrician, respiratory problems, sackler faculty, shock, study women, tel aviv university, worst time, yitzhak