Court seeks start of construction for medical institute in PatnaFebruary 3rd, 2009 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Feb 3 (IANS) The Patna High Court Tuesday asked the central government to invite tenders in February for construction of the Jai Prakash Narayan All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Patna and to start construction by June this year.A bench of the court gave the order after hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) filed by the Council for Protection of Public Rights and Welfare.
The Patna high court had last month sought a progress report on the AIIMS in Patna from the central government.
The then Vice President Bhairon Singh Shekhawat had laid the foundation stone of the prestigious medical institute at Phulwari Sharif in Bihar on Jan 3, 2004 and Rs.300 crore (Rs.three billion) was allotted for the speedy completion of the project
The proposed AIIMS in Patna was part of the central government project envisaging setting up AIIMS-like institutes in Patna (Bihar), Raipur (Chhattisgarh), Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh), Bhubaneswar (Orissa), Jodhpur (Rajasthan) and Rishikesh (Uttarakhand). However, the project is already delayed.
The project was first proposed in 2003 by the then National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government and cleared in 2006 by the United Progressive Alliance (UPA). The new institutions were supposed to come up in three years.
Each institute was to have a 960-bed hospital and provide undergraduate medical education for 100 students per year. Postgraduate and postdoctoral courses are also proposed to be offered.
- Lok Sabha passes bill for AIIMS-like institutes - Aug 30, 2012
- With Rs.1,100 crore, AIIMS bags highest budget share - Mar 16, 2012
- AIIMS-Patna to start this year, says Ghulam Nabi Azad - May 24, 2012
- AIIMS gets Rs.1,000 crore in budget - Feb 28, 2011
- Land identified for AIIMS-like institute in Sonia's constituency - May 08, 2012
- Separate societies for six AIIMS-like institutions to be set up under PMSSY - Aug 26, 2010
- Six AIIMS-like institutions to be registered as societies - Aug 09, 2010
- Incentive for fast completion of AIIMS-like hospitals - Nov 16, 2009
- Cabinet clears societies to run six AIIMS-like institutions - Aug 09, 2010
- Government proposing a new National Urban Health Mission: PM - Jun 30, 2012
- Cabinet gives nod to set up six AIIMS-like institutions - Mar 19, 2010
- Rural India is short of 16,000 doctors - Mar 09, 2011
- Lucknow doctors to head two new AIIMS - Sep 04, 2011
- Six AIIMS-like institutions by end-2013: Azad - Feb 02, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal to get AIIMS-like institutes: Azad - Jul 10, 2009
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, bhairon singh shekhawat, bhubaneswar, chhattisgarh, foundation stone, government project, india institute, jodhpur, medical institute, national democratic alliance, patna high court, postdoctoral courses, prakash narayan, progressive alliance, public interest litigation, raipur, rishikesh, speedy completion, undergraduate medical education