Court remands Ahmedabad blasts suspects to 14-day police custodyAugust 17th, 2008 - 10:17 pm ICT by ANI
Ahmedabad, August 17 (ANI): An Ahmedabad court on Sunday sent nine persons accused of carrying out serial blasts that killed at least 45 people in the city last month to14-day police custody.
Gujarat police said that they belong to the banned Students” Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) who were arrested on Saturday.
Police said one of the arrested, Abu Bashir was the mastermind of the bombings and that all the suspects were active members of the banned SIMI. Bashir (30) was arrested in Lucknow.
One of the lawyers representing some of the nine accused said the court accepted the prosecution’’s plea and his clients would challenge it.
It is fully accepted, they (prosecution) demanded 14 days remand and it was given to them. We will be challenging this order, this is an illegal order, said Hasim Qureshi, lawyer representing some of the accused.
At least 16 bombs exploded in Ahmedabad on July 26, a day after another set of blasts in Bangalore killed a woman. Three days later, several unexploded bombs were found in Gujarat’’s Surat town.
A little-known group called the “Indian Mujahideen” had claimed responsibility for the Ahmedabad attacks. But police said Indian Mujahideen was just “another identity” for SIMI.
SIMI, a Muslim group has been blamed by police for almost every major bomb attack in India, including explosions on trains in Mumbai two years ago which killed 187 people. (ANI)
- Many links between Ahmedabad, Pune blasts - Feb 17, 2010
- Terror suspect arrested in Kolkata - Jul 18, 2012
- SIMI activists produced in court over Ahmedabad blasts - Aug 23, 2008
- Two held for alleged links with Ahmedabad blasts - Sep 16, 2008
- Terrorist shot dead in Aurangabad - Mar 26, 2012
- Mumbai cops in Ahmedabad to quiz IM operative - Jul 16, 2011
- Delhi serial blasts: Charges filed against two - May 15, 2010
- SIMI activist nabbed in Gujarat - Jul 27, 2010
- Blasts came two days after 5th anniversary of train bombings - Jul 14, 2011
- Delhi Police file chargesheet in 2008 serial bombing case - May 16, 2010
- SC split verdict on Madani's bail plea in Bangalore blast case - May 04, 2011
- Probe widens in Mumbai blasts, detonators remain mystery - Jul 18, 2011
- Ahmedabad blasts: Bail pleas of three accused rejected (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Delhi serial blasts accused given copy charge-sheet - May 20, 2010
- 2008 Delhi serial blast: 11 accused fail to appear in court (Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
Tags: ahmedabad, bashir, bomb attack, bombings, explosions, gujarat police, islamic movement, lawyer, lawyers, lucknow, mastermind, mujahideen, muslim group, plea, police custody, prosecution, serial blasts, surat, trains, unexploded bombs