Court orders Uttar Pradesh doctors to end strikeDecember 19th, 2008 - 12:50 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 18 (IANS) The Allahabad High Court Thursday ordered striking junior doctors of six state-run medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh to resume their duties by Friday, failing which they would have to face punitive action.About 1,500 doctors of the state medical colleges in Kanpur, Allahabad, Meerut, Gorakhpur, Agra and Jhansi are on strike from Dec 15 to demand implementation of the recommendations of the Sixth Pay Commission.
The strike has brought most medical services to a standstill, causing misery to patients.
An Allahabad resident, Satish Chaturvedi, moved a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) highlighting the plight of patients due to the strike.
Taking serious cognisance of the situation, a division bench comprising Justices S. Ambwani and Dilip Gupta Tuesday advised the striking doctors to resume their work.
However, realising that the mild approach failed to have any impact on the junior doctors, the bench Thursday took a firm stand of not only issuing a 24-hour ultimatum to the doctors but also directing the state administration to initiate punitive action against them.
Unconfirmed reports said that the doctors were calling of their agitation with immediate effect but none of the junior doctors association officer-bearers was available for a comment .
State Medical Education Secretary Harbhajan Singh told IANS late Thursday that “we are ready to take disciplinary action against them in case they fail to abide by the court order and return to work by tomorrow”.
- Work on Rae Bareli AIIMS to begin soon: Azad - Aug 09, 2012
- Bihar's junior doctors end strike; legislator surrenders - Feb 04, 2011
- Bihar, Uttar Pradesh battle to contain deadly encephalitis outbreak (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Medical services hit as junior doctors in Andhra intensify stir - Sep 03, 2012
- Judge recuses herself from hearing plea against doctors strike - Jun 22, 2012
- Junior doctors end 14-day strike in Bihar - Jun 28, 2012
- Lawyers strike work in UP, demand security - Aug 21, 2012
- Agra doctors call off strike - May 28, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh's junior doctors call off strike - Nov 20, 2011
- Gwalior junior doctors call off strike - Nov 16, 2011
- Doctors' strike continues in Bihar - Feb 01, 2011
- Junior doctors' strike continues in Andhra - Feb 12, 2012
- Bihar junior doctors' strike claims over two dozen lives - Feb 02, 2011
- Another rape in Bengal, victim deaf and mute (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Bihar doctors continue strike despite rights panel's threat - Nov 21, 2009
Tags: allahabad high court, cognisance, division bench, education secretary, harbhajan singh, junior doctors association, medical colleges, public interest litigation, punitive action, striking doctors