Couples who pray together really do stay togetherAugust 13th, 2010 - 4:02 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Aug 13 (ANI): Couples who share religious practices tend to be happier than those who don’t, according to a new study.
True to the aphorism, couples who pray together stay together, said study co-author W. Bradford Wilcox, director of the National Marriage Project at the University of Virginia, and “African American couples are more likely to have a shared spiritual identity as a couple.”
In the study, researchers found that 40 percent of blacks in marriages and live-in relationships who attended religious services regularly had a partner who did the same, compared with 29 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 29 percent of Hispanics.
White couples, in general, reported greater relationship satisfaction than other groups, presumably because of income and educational advantages, the study says. But the racial gap lessens when religious similarities come into the mix.
“What this study suggests is that religion is one of the key factors narrowing the racial divide in relationship quality in the United States,” the Washington Post quoted Wilcox as saying.
The strongest difference-maker for couples was spiritual activities such as praying or reading the Bible at home.
“Praying together as a couple is something that is very intimate for people who are religious. It adds another level of closeness to a relationship,” Wilcox said.
The study appears in this month’s issue of the Journal of Marriage and Family. (ANI)
- Study shows breast cancer risk factors differ among races - Apr 26, 2010
- Fear of divorce deters live-in couples from marriage - Dec 18, 2011
- Want a happy marriage? Save sex for honeymoon - Dec 24, 2010
- Blacks more likely than whites to die from live cancer: Study - Dec 21, 2010
- Interracial marriages on the rise in US - Feb 17, 2012
- Rich, young women 'more prone to melanoma' - Mar 22, 2011
- Couples who keep off sex before marriage are happier - Dec 28, 2010
- Child's death elevates risk of mom's demise - Jun 29, 2012
- What's your ideal body mass index? - Dec 02, 2010
- Cuddling vital for long-term happiness among couples - Jul 05, 2011
- Young women often fail to spot weight gain - Jan 11, 2012
- The 'secret ingredient' in religion that makes people happier - Dec 07, 2010
- Study offers first look at Indian Americans' glaucoma risk - Apr 05, 2011
- Getting engaged before moving in can cut break-up risk - Jul 24, 2010
- How you fight with your spouse can predict the fate of your marriage - Sep 29, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,