Couple donates son’s organs after five kids die in fireMay 17th, 2012 - 12:13 am ICT by IANS
London, May 16 (IANS) A British couple who lost their six children in a house fire have decided to donate their teenage son’s organs so that it could save others’ lives at least.
Mick Philpott and wife Mairead said they needed “some good” to come from the tragedy, as they told doctors to turn off 13-year-old Duwayne’s life support machine on Sunday and agreed to the organ donation, The Sun reported.
“It was a brave and generous decision Mick and Mairead made together in the hope Duwayne’s tragic death could bring life to another child,” said Father Alan Burbidge who spent Sunday night with the couple at Birmingham Children’s Hospital.
Mick, 54, and his wife had remained by the bedside of son Duwayne, 13, for three days since Friday’s horrific fire.
The alleged arson attack at the family home in Derby, also claimed the lives of Jade, 10, John, 9, Jack, 7, Jessie, 6, and Jayden, 5. Their half-brother Michael Philpott spoke of his heartache at losing his “wild and very active” siblings.
“We were pretty close. Jayden and John were constantly running about, Jessie was always blabbering on and Jack was always on his computer. I used to take Duwayne fishing at the weekend. I’m struggling and it’s been hard to take in.,” said the 14-year-old Philpott.
- British parents held over six kids' death in blaze - May 30, 2012
- Vindu reveals family secrets, plans to make documentary on dad - Jul 17, 2012
- Tweed's mum bares heartache over son's rape charge - Sep 27, 2009
- Dutch man seeks child with father's sperm - Mar 24, 2012
- Bale flies 4-year-old cancer patient to Disneyland - Sep 10, 2012
- Jessie J wore Falguni-Shane creation at Diamond Jubilee celebration (With Images) - Jun 07, 2012
- Robin Gibb unable to speak - May 17, 2012
- British woman held for murdering five kids - May 11, 2012
- Ronan Keating splits from wife? - Apr 02, 2012
- Federline 'really happy' for Spears - Dec 20, 2011
- Have Will Smith & Jada Pinkett split? - Aug 23, 2011
- Emma Bunton takes design tips from son - Jan 31, 2012
- Jade Buddha to visit India in November 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- John Abraham believes in sperm donation - Mar 08, 2012
- James Marsden to be daddy again - Jun 23, 2012
Tags: arson attack, birmingham children, british couple, brother michael, burbidge, generous decision, half brother, heartache, horrific fire, jayden, jessie, mairead, organ donation, organs, philpott, s hospital, siblings, teenage son, tragedy, tragic death