Counting to 10 could make you angrier stillJuly 5th, 2012 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 5 (IANS) Never count to 10 when you’re feeling angry, it could only make it much worse. Focusing on a situation only makes people angrier, tests show.
“The worst thing to do in an anger-inducing situation is what people normally do: try to focus on their hurt and angry feelings to understand them,” said Brad Bushman, professor of communication and psychology at Ohio State University.
“If you focus too much on how you’re feeling, it usually backfires. It keeps the aggressive thoughts and feelings active in your mind, which makes it more likely that you’ll act aggressively,” added Bushman, the Daily Mail reports.
Instead, Bushman found after tests where students were stressed out by being interrupted rudely by an intercom, the best thing you can do is imagine you are far away. “If you focus too much on how you’re feeling, it usually backfires,” Bushman said
“The secret is to not get immersed in your own anger and, instead, have a more detached view,” said Dominik Mischkowski, graduate student in psychology at Ohio, who led the study.
- Self-distancing can help you quell anger - Jul 03, 2012
- Irresponsibility turns drinkers into bullies - Dec 20, 2011
- Prayer really can help people cope with their anger - Mar 22, 2011
- Research says that praying when angry helps to manage anger - Mar 31, 2011
- Angry? Say a prayer - Mar 22, 2011
- Winning spurs an aggressive streak - Mar 01, 2012
- For young people, sex and paychecks come after self-esteem - Jan 07, 2011
- Anger makes us want things more - Nov 02, 2010
- Can paying too much attention ruin performance? - Oct 23, 2011
- Youngsters prefer self-esteem over sex, money - Jan 07, 2011
- Fear, anger prompt us to share stories, messages - Jul 01, 2011
- A spoonful of sugar may be enough to cool a hot temper - Dec 02, 2010
- Narcissistic students 'more likely to cheat' - Dec 01, 2010
- Young Folks Crave Self-Esteem Even More Than Sexual Activities, As Per A New Psychological Study - Jan 12, 2011
- Pursuit of happiness can backfire - May 17, 2011