Could coffee be the answer to hangovers?January 12th, 2011 - 12:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 12 (ANI): A cup of steaming hot coffee and a painkiller may be the answer to that hangover from binge drinking, says a new study.
Researchers at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, conducted the study in mice, in which they injected doses of ethanol.
The doses usually trigger headaches in people prone to migraine. Michael Oshinsky and his colleagues found that 4 to 6 hours later, the skin around the rats’ eyes became sensitive to touch, indicating that they were suffering from a headache, reports New Scientist.
Oshinsky said that the rats were not dehydrated and they received pure ethanol. Also, contrary to the fact that acetaldehyde build-up is the reason for hangovers, the rats didn’t suffer the headache from it because they were given drugs to block conversion of acetaldehyde into acetate.
The reason caffeine and over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs seem to provide relief is because they block some of the effects of acetate.
If that really is the case, the best time to take them would be about 4 hours after drinking, when acetate levels begin to increase.
Dan Levy at Harvard University is wary of calling the rats’ headache a hangover, but says the study is an important step towards understanding alcohol-triggered headache.
The study appears in PloS. (ANI)
- Research on rats confirms that coffee & aspirin are the best hangover cures - Jan 21, 2011
- Coffee, aspirin best antidote to hangover - Jan 18, 2011
- Coffee and Aspirin is "Best Hangover Cure" in Rats - Jan 21, 2011
- Migraine sufferers more vulnerable to hangover - Oct 19, 2009
- People with migraine more prone to hangover headaches - Oct 19, 2009
- Painkillers overuse causing a million headaches in Britain - Sep 19, 2012
- How to beat a hangover after that Christmas party! - Dec 09, 2010
- Honey, a sweet way of getting you over hangovers - Dec 24, 2010
- Got a bad hangover? Try honey on toast! - Dec 24, 2010
- Scientists identify faulty gene behind migraine - Sep 27, 2010
- Ibuprofen could treble stroke risk - Jan 12, 2011
- Pros and cons of hangover 'cures' - Jan 02, 2010
- Now, treat chronic migraine with Botox - Aug 30, 2011
- Ibuprofen may help people suffering from migraine headaches - Oct 06, 2010
- Caffeine intake while breastfeeding harms baby - Feb 22, 2012
Tags: acetate, anti inflammatory drugs, binge drinking, dan levy, ethanol, hangover, hangovers, harvard university, hot coffee, london jan, migraine, new scientist, painkiller, philadelphia pennsylvania, rats, study researchers, thomas jefferson, thomas jefferson university, understanding alcohol, university in philadelphia