Cop swims across river with hands, legs tiedJune 15th, 2009 - 5:26 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 15 (IANS) Aiming to enter the record books, an Uttar Pradesh policeman exhibited rare daring by swimming across Ganga river with his hands and legs tied and a canvas bag covering his body.
Suresh Babu Soni, a sub-inspector, performed the swimming feat Sunday in Varanasi, 270 km from state capital Lucknow, in front of a large number of spectators.
“Only my head remained outside the canvas bag while I swam across the river, covering a distance of about 800 metres in 30 minutes. My dream to do something extraordinary while swimming prompted me to perform this action,” Soni told IANS on telephone from Varanasi.
“I started swimming when I was 25. Since then I have been experimenting to make swimming innovative and thrilling,” said the 47-year-old sub-inspector.
Soni said with his unique swimming act he now aspires to get a place in the record books.
“I have sent the video recording of my swim to officials of the Limca book of records. I am also planning to approach officials of the Guinness World Record Book to get their recognition.”
- Man astonishes onlookers by swimming with his limbs tied - Jun 16, 2009
- Assam cop is longest barefoot runner in world - Apr 17, 2012
- Asha Bhosle, Gulzar named among 10 People of The Year - Jan 31, 2012
- West Bengal's jute manufacturers spread awareness on use of natural fibres - Oct 29, 2010
- Mukesh Babu Turns Police Officer Again For New Film Kutty Bhootham - Aug 13, 2010
- Men in khaki leave UP government red-faced - Jul 14, 2012
- Assam constable runs 156 km barefoot - Jan 31, 2012
- Tipsy cop kills girl in celebratory firing - Jun 28, 2012
- On Kartik Purnima, thousands take holy dip - Nov 10, 2011
- Around 3600 Kannadigas sing to set world record in Bangalore - Dec 31, 2010
- Four students drown in Ganga river - May 13, 2011
- Tamil Nadu students dress up as Gandhi to spread peace, non-violence - Jun 17, 2010
- Australian artist chronicles the Ganga's journey - Jul 16, 2010
- Lucknow traffic cops stripped of power to issue challans - May 31, 2012
- Rahul Dravid, Kiran Karnik new Limca People of the Year - Jun 28, 2010
Tags: 30 minutes, babu, canvas, daring, guinness world record, guinness world record book, legs, limca book of records, policeman, record books, spectators, swims, uttar pradesh, varanasi, video recording