Coming soon: ‘Magic pill’ for men with aggressive prostate cancer (re-sue)October 13th, 2010 - 5:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 13 (ANI): A study from the Institute of Cancer Research based in London and Surrey indicates that a potentially life-prolonging pill for men with aggressive prostate cancer could be available within a year.
The abiraterone acetate drug, for which phase three trials were halted on ethical grounds, will offer new hope to men with advanced prostate cancer.
The study has important implications because currently men with this aggressive type of prostate cancer currently have very few treatment options and a poor prognosis.
Risk of death was reduced by 35percent in men receiving abiraterone while survival was increased by 36 percent from a midpoint of 10.9 to 14.8 months.
“The news that abiraterone acetate may extend survival with manageable side-effects will be incredibly important to men with prostate cancer and their families,” Sky News quoted study leader Dr Johan de Bono as saying.
Results from the trial have been presented at the European Society for Medical Oncology Congress in Milan, Italy. (ANI)
- Coming soon: 'Magic pill' for men with aggressive prostate cancer - Oct 12, 2010
- Targeted cancer drug more effective after first-line treatment - Feb 28, 2011
- Hormone therapy 'doubles survival chances in men with prostate cancer' - Mar 25, 2011
- New drugs to kill cancers minus side-effects - May 21, 2012
- Blood vessel-blocking drug may delay prostate cancer progression - Jun 09, 2010
- New method detects aggressive prostate cancer - Aug 09, 2012
- PSA test more reliable in men taking prostate-shrinking drug - Dec 18, 2010
- First reliable prostate cancer test could be available within months - Mar 02, 2011
- Experimental drug for advanced prostate cancer shows promise - Apr 15, 2010
- New prostrate cancer drug raises hope - Jul 22, 2008
- Genetic markers could help detect early prostate cancer onset - Jun 08, 2010
- Exercise 'cuts death risk for men with prostate cancer' - Jan 06, 2011
- Exercise improves survival in prostate cancer patients - Feb 02, 2012
- 20-year-long study finds prostate cancer screening doesn't cut death risk - Apr 01, 2011
- Scientists reveal prostate cancer's multiple personalities - Nov 04, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,