Coming soon, a perfume that smells like cricket groundJune 7th, 2009 - 1:56 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 7 (ANI): Move over floral, musky smells. Perfume makers have now captured scents from cricket grounds, including the changing rooms, cricket bats and kit, as well as from the cabins of ocean-going yachts.
“We are looking for modern smells that have never been used in fragrances before but which have strong associations with activities that people enjoy or respect,” The Times quoted Will Andrews, a fragrance scientist at Procter & Gamble (P&G), which makes perfumes by Hugo Boss, Dolce & Gabbana and Lacoste, as saying.
Andrews’ aim is to find “notes” within the odours found in such places that evoke positive emotions associated with sporty activities. These can then be used in conjunction with other odours to make new fragrances.
“Smell is the most evocative of the senses. Just a faint whiff of a particular odour can conjure up memories and emotions in a way that no other sense can achieve,” the expert said.
A lecture on how researchers used a technique called “headspace analysis”, in which a pump sucks air from a room or area deemed to have interesting smells, will be given by Andrews at the Royal Institution in London.
In the process, air is passed over polymer beads that trap the odour molecules and concentrate them. Back in the laboratory the beads are placed in a gas chromatograph where they are warmed up. The odour molecules evaporate from the beads and are sucked into the machine to be analysed.
Once the structure of the molecules is known they can be duplicated artificially in the quantities needed for perfume. (ANI)
- Snot affects out sense of smell: Study - Dec 02, 2010
- Madonna plans second perfume - Apr 18, 2012
- Anxiety helps people sniff out danger - Mar 23, 2012
- Soon, a scent that smells like Lord''s cricket ground - Feb 15, 2009
- Arjun Rampal's perfume to be launched Jan 12 - Jan 07, 2012
- Want to have my own fragrance: Cheryl - Nov 12, 2011
- Body odour influences perfume choice - Oct 10, 2011
- Scientists unravel how nose differentiates smell - Dec 30, 2011
- Perfumes contain 'hidden harmful chemicals' - May 13, 2010
- Kelly Brook wears same perfume as Madonna - Feb 07, 2011
- Heidi Klum to launch debut fragrance - Jun 20, 2011
- Brain protects sense of smell when blocked - Aug 13, 2012
- Lady Gaga's perfume to smell of 'blood, sweat and semen' - Jan 28, 2011
- Hunger hormone 'ups nose's ability to sniff out food' - Apr 13, 2011
- I'd gift my perfume to Deepika, Ranbir: Arjun Rampal - Jan 13, 2012
Tags: changing rooms, cricket bats, cricket grounds, fragrance, gas chromatograph, hugo boss, lacoste, molecules, musky, new fragrances, odour, odours, perfume, perfumes, polymer beads, procter amp gamble, royal institution, scents, whiff, yachts