‘Comfort food’ can actually fight lonelinessMarch 22nd, 2011 - 1:23 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 22 (ANI): A new study has found that ‘comfort foods’ such as mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, meatloaf may be bad for your arteries, but they are good for your heart and emotions.
“For me personally, food has always played a big role in my family,” says Jordan Troisi, a graduate student at the University of Buffalo, and lead author on the study.
The study came out of the research program of his co-author Shira Gabriel, which has looked at social surrogates-non-human things that make people feel like they belong.
In one experiment, in an attempt to make participants feel lonely, the researchers had them write for six minutes about a fight with someone close to them. Others were given an emotionally neutral writing assignment. Then, some people in each group wrote about the experience of eating a comfort food and others wrote about eating a new food. Finally, the researchers had participants complete questions about their levels of loneliness.
Writing about a fight with a close person made people feel lonely. But people who were generally secure in their relationships-something that was assessed before the experiment-were able to rescue themselves from loneliness by writing about a comfort food. “We have found that comfort foods are foods which are consistently associated with those close to us,” says Troisi. “Thinking about or consuming these foods later then serves as a reminder of those close others.”
In another experiment, eating chicken soup in the lab made people think more about relationships, but only if they considered chicken soup to be a comfort food.
The study will appear in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science. (ANI)
- 'Comfort food' soothes, but at the cost of health - Mar 22, 2011
- Loneliness 'can cause weight gain' - May 20, 2010
- Loneliness is harmful for health - Jun 23, 2010
- Loneliness a 'hidden killer' that threatens health as much as obesity - Feb 02, 2011
- Favourite characters on TV shows can drive away feelings of loneliness, rejection - Apr 23, 2009
- How to fight loneliness - Sep 12, 2010
- Happy people go for candies - Apr 20, 2011
- Beans, sausage and mash, macaroni cheese named 'best comfort foods' - Oct 19, 2009
- Our best and worst moments take place within social relationships: Study - Aug 27, 2010
- Illusory relationships with TV stars foster sense of belonging - Apr 23, 2009
- How using Facebook can lead to a roller coaster of emotions - Feb 09, 2011
- Jessica Simpson's fiance puts her on diet - Feb 16, 2011
- Suppressing compassion might make you act immorally - Mar 16, 2012
- Loneliness is contagious - Dec 01, 2009
- Loneliness is contagious too - Dec 01, 2009
Tags: arteries, chicken soup, co author, comfort food, emotions, graduate student, heart, jordan, loneliness, macaroni and cheese, meatloaf, new food, participants, potatoes, psychological science, relationships, reminder, shira gabriel, six minutes, university of buffalo