Cocoa flavanols could benefit cardiovascular patientsJuly 7th, 2010 - 5:18 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 7 (ANI): Cocoa flavanols may be an important part of a healthy diet for people with cardiovascular disease, according to new research.
Poor blood vessel function is recognized as an early stage in the development process of cardiovascular diseases (CVD), including coronary artery disease.
Daily cocoa flavanol consumption more than doubled the number of circulating angiogenic cells (CACs) in the blood, according to results of a study conducted at the University of California San Francisco.
“And perhaps most importantly, for the first time, we found that cocoa flavanols might even directly mobilize important cells that could repair damaged blood vessels. The benefits are substantial, without any observed adverse effects,” added study author Christian Heiss, MD, Heinrich-Heine University.
“Of course, more research is needed to confirm and build upon these observations, but we’re intrigued by the potential for flavanols in the context of dietary and pharmaceutical strategies for the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular diseases,” Heiss added.
The research also points to new possibilities for cocoa flavanol-based interventions associated with age-related blood vessel dysfunction and vascular complications of type-2 diabetes.
The findings are published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology (JACC). (ANI)
- Dark chocolate may reduce cardio risks, study shows - Apr 25, 2012
- Cocoa compounds may help ward off dementia, stroke - Aug 19, 2008
- Vitamin D deficiency linked to high BP, stiffer arteries - Apr 04, 2011
- Japan quake triggers sharp rise in heart disease - Aug 28, 2012
- Just a little belly fat can harm blood vessels: Study - Aug 19, 2010
- Erectile dysfunction - a warning of future heart attacks - Feb 09, 2010
- Vitamin D levels linked with health of blood vessels - Apr 04, 2011
- Ready-to-use bioengineered veins expand off-the-shelf vessels options - Feb 03, 2011
- Vitamin D deficiency linked to stiff arteries - Apr 04, 2011
- Sex hormone protects women from cardio risks - Aug 12, 2011
- Vaccines for heart attacks to be ready within 5 years - Apr 01, 2012
- Mechanism underlying 'broken-heart syndrome' - Apr 09, 2010
- Leafy greens 'could help protect vascular health' - Mar 24, 2011
- Routine periodic fasting good for health, heart - Apr 04, 2011
- Boffins identify 'gas pedal', 'brake' for uncontrolled cell growth - Aug 02, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,