Clooney donates $5.6m to fund U.N. helicopters in SudanApril 7th, 2008 - 5:33 pm ICT by admin
Washington, Apr 07 (ANI): American actor George Clooney recently donated 5.6 million dollars to the United Nations peacekeeping force in war-torn Sudan, to enable the team to buy a fleet of helicopters.
The U.N. Messenger of Peace has become a leading celebrity advocate for action against genocide in Sudan after filming a documentary about the ongoing violence and refugee crisis there last year (07).
Clooney has also gotten his Ocean’s Thirteen cast mates Brad Pitt, Matt Damon and Don Cheadle to help in providing humanitarian aid to the region, by setting up the Not On Our Watch organisation with their help.
When the 46-year-old actor learned of the dilemma of the U.N. peacekeeping force Unamid in Darfur, he immediately doled out the money to aid the cause.
“George was horrified by the Sudanese government’s ’scorched earth’ (bomb) attacks on western Darfur last month, Contactmusic quoted a source as saying.
“And when he was told that Unamid officials felt they could have done something about the attacks if they’d had the right equipment - they need 18 helicopters and so far have none - he decided to put his money where his mouth is,” the source added. (ANI)
- George Clooney conferred humanitarian award at Emmy - Aug 30, 2010
- UN peacekeeper killed in armed attack at IDP camp in South Darfur - Aug 13, 2012
- U.S. Senator John Kerry visits Sudan ahead of south's referendum - Jan 08, 2011
- Three peacekeepers killed in Sudan's Darfur - Oct 11, 2011
- Kidnapped Briton released in Sudan - May 31, 2012
- Actor George Clooney among arrested in Sudan protest - Mar 18, 2012
- 'Hijacked' Russian helicopter returns to base - Jul 28, 2010
- Militants hijack Russian helicopter in Sudan - Jul 27, 2010
- British government 'strongly condemns' the kidnapping of two peacekeepers in Darfur - Aug 17, 2010
- Heavy rain collapses buildings in Darfur, killing 20 soldiers - Aug 03, 2011
- Russians kidnapped in Darfur as American released: UN - Aug 31, 2010
- Al Arabiya: Jordanian U.N. peacekeepers abducted in South Darfur released - Aug 17, 2010
- George Clooney Stands For A Peaceful Referendum In Sudan - Oct 15, 2010
- Clooney teams up with Google, UN to watch Sudan using satellites - Dec 29, 2010
- UN peacekeeping force in Darfur denies hijacking of Russian helicopter - Jul 28, 2010
Tags: 6m, actor george, american actor, bomb attacks, brad pitt, cast mates, darfur, dilemma, don cheadle, genocide in sudan, george clooney, helicopters, humanitarian aid, matt damon, million dollars, refugee crisis, scorched earth, sudanese government, unamid, united nations peacekeeping force