Churchill named Britain’s greatest gentleman of last centuryDecember 10th, 2011 - 12:06 am ICT by IANS
London, Dec 9 (IANS) Known for his leadership of Britain during World War II, the two-time prime minister Sir Winston Churchill has been in a poll named as the greatest British gentleman of the last century.
Churchill, who inspired the nation to stand in defiance of the German dictator Adolf Hitler during the World War II, topped the survey of 4,000 people to uncover the greatest gentlemen in modern memory, the Daily Mail reported.
A spokesman for the clothes chain Austin Reed, which carried out the poll, said: “Sir Winston Churchill showed unprecedented courage and strength to lead this country and is a worthy choice as the greatest British gentleman.”
The results are a pleasing reminder of the number of great characters and personalities that inspire the general public, he added.
Sir David Attenborough, Britain’s best-known natural history film maker who brought the hidden secrets of the world to living rooms across the country with programmes like Life, The Blue Planet and Frozen Planet, stood runner-up in the poll.
While the third place went to Stephen Fry, whose intelligent and amusing contributions to British TV screens and Twitter feeds, have made him a national treasure, Prince William acquired the fourth position.
It was screen royalty that rounded off the top five in the shape of Colin Firth, who wowed all with his Oscar-winning portrayal of King George VI in “The King’s Speech”.
Actor David Niven took sixth spot, while it was 007 for former Bond star Roger Moore, with Michael Caine coming in eighth.
Sporting superstar David Beckham could only manage ninth place, while TV sensation Bruce Forsyth completed the top 10 in the poll.
- Churchill becomes first ever British PM to enter UK pop charts - Oct 03, 2010
- Eco-wildlife film fest opens in Delhi - Feb 14, 2011
- Former PM Winston Churchill makes it to UK pop charts - Oct 04, 2010
- Brand willing to shave his head to play Churchill - Apr 22, 2011
- Churchill's false teeth fetch 15,200 pounds - Jul 30, 2010
- Poll reveals that Princess Diana is the favorite royal in UK - Aug 31, 2011
- 'The King's Speech' opens Dubai film fest, Firth feels honoured - Dec 13, 2010
- Hindus ask for Britain's apology for millions of starvation deaths of 1943 famine - Sep 10, 2010
- UK radio series to highlight Churchill's unknown skills - Mar 14, 2011
- No such thing as stereotypical English gentleman, says Colin Firth - Nov 23, 2010
- Colin Firth honoured with Variety's International Star award - Dec 13, 2010
- Gordon Brown voted third worst Prime Minister since World War II by academics - Aug 03, 2010
- Cameron urges to end fixation over 'special relationship' with US - Jul 20, 2010
- Restraint makes 'The King's Speech' a cinematic jewel (IANS Movie Review) - Mar 05, 2011
- 'The King's Speech' reigns at 83rd Academy Awards - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,