Christians in Kerala celebrate Easter with prayers, good foodApril 12th, 2009 - 12:31 pm ICT by IANS
Kottayam (Kerala), April 12 (IANS) Christians across Kerala celebrated Easter Sunday by attending church early in the morning and ending the period of Lent with a sumptuous traditional breakfast.
Churches serve a piece of cake made of egg and milk to end the 40-day Lent period, during which most people forgo non-vegetarian food.
After Easter mass, devotees rush home for special breakfast, which includes the traditional ‘appam’ made out of rice powder and mixed with a small quantity of fresh toddy or yeast.
The other delicacies include baked bananas, egg curry and stew made with either mutton, chicken or vegetables.
Christians account for 23 percent of Kerala’s 32 million population and are mainly concentrated in the central districts of the state.
Rise in grocery prices and fall in the rubber prices have, however, led to the celebrations being scaled down compared to previous years.
“Yes, this time the celebrations are not to the extent seen last year because celebrations are directly linked to the price of rubber. Last year the price of rubber during Easter was Rs.100 per kg and today it has fallen to below Rs.80,” P.K. Kuriakose, said while he enjoyed his breakfast with his family near here.
The prices of mutton, chicken and beef have also shot up by over 20 percent as compared to last year’s Easter.
The ‘Holy week’ provided a short break for politicians and party workers on the campaign trail ahead of the elections Thursday.
“People in Kerala have taken over the campaign work for the Congress-led United Democratic Front and a small break has helped our workers recharge their batteries,” said leader of opposition Oommen Chandy, who began his campaign from his Puthupally village after attending Easter mass.
- Kerala celebrates Easter with fervour - Apr 24, 2011
- Easter celebrated in Kerala - Apr 04, 2010
- Christmas celebrated in style in Kerala - Dec 25, 2011
- Prayers, cakes and drinks: Kerala celebrates Christmas - Dec 25, 2009
- Kerala Christmas low key after Karunakaran's death - Dec 25, 2010
- Kerala Christians set for Easter - Apr 05, 2012
- India celebrates X-mas with carols, joy, feasting (Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- India rejoices in Christmas revelry with carols, feasts (Intro Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Kerala's Christmas trimming - snip goes the menu - Dec 17, 2010
- Kerala gets ready for Easter - Apr 01, 2010
- Capital celebrates Easter with fun, fervour - Apr 24, 2011
- Easter egg prices soar, but fervour spreads in Goa - Apr 23, 2011
- With marzipan and cake, Mumbai celebrates Easter - Apr 24, 2011
- Kerala Christians observe Passion Week - Apr 01, 2012
- With prayers, feasts, Delhi celebrates Easter - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: appam, attending church, baked bananas, campaign trail, campaign work, celebrated easter, chandy, delicacies, democratic front, easter mass, easter sunday, grocery prices, holy week, leader of opposition, mutton, rice powder, rubber prices, toddy, traditional breakfast, vegetarian food