Chinese wins over $38.5 mn jackpotOctober 7th, 2010 - 5:40 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Oct 7 (IANS) A Chinese in the country’s Henan province has won a whopping 258-million yuan ($38.5 million) lottery jackpot.
The winner paid 100 yuan for 50 seven-number rows for the “Double Color Ball” game at a booth in Wenming Road in Zhumadian, Xinhua reported Thursday.
Officials have assured privacy of the winner who is yet to collect the prize. The draw for the welfare lottery was made Tuesday night.
The jackpot is one million yuan less than China’s second largest lottery prize drawn in Shanghai in August. The biggest one was 359 million yuan, drawn in October 2009, also in Henan.
Under Chinese taxation laws, the winner will have to pay about 51 million yuan in tax. However, a charitable donation could reduce that amount.
China Welfare Lottery Centre, under the Ministry of Civil Affairs, started the “Double Color Ball” game in 2003. It is drawn every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.
Following several large jackpots, sales of tickets have increased.
Chen Erjuan, a lottery seller at a booth in Beijing’s Chaoyang district, said she has witnessed more people playing since Spring Festival in February.
- Beijing man hits $90 mn jackpot - Jun 13, 2012
- Jackpot worth $2.5 mn goes unclaimed in China - Aug 01, 2011
- Chinese man wins 259 mn yuan in lottery - Aug 11, 2010
- China's biggest jackpot win shrouded in mystery - Oct 21, 2009
- 'Mega Millions' jackpot reaches record $500 million - Mar 29, 2012
- China spends $79 mn from lottery on poor - Jan 27, 2012
- Briton scoops 148-mn-pound jackpot - Aug 11, 2012
- Lottery fever hits as 'Mega Millions' jackpot reaches $540 million - Mar 30, 2012
- China busts multi-million-dollar fake drugs racket - Nov 29, 2011
- Briton wins $98 mn lottery share - Jun 09, 2012
- China has 7 million lottery addicts - Mar 26, 2012
- Chinese official sentenced for embezzlement - Jun 05, 2012
- China distributes money to 87 mn poor - Feb 04, 2012
- Powerball Jackpot Won By Missouri Ticket Holder - Apr 23, 2010
- Powerball winner hits jackpot and wins $230 million - Aug 11, 2011
Tags: 5 million, ball game, beijing, chaoyang district, charitable donation, china, civil affairs, henan province, lottery jackpot, lottery prize, number rows, oct 7, one million, shanghai, spring festival, taxation laws, tuesday night, welfare, xinhua, yuan