Chinese student cycles 15 days to attend her collegeAugust 30th, 2010 - 5:16 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 30 (IANS) A 19-year-old Chinese woman and her father cycled about 15 days covering 1,200 km to attend her first day in college in Beijing, a media report said Monday.
Wang Xiaohan became the first woman to undertake such a feat. She arrived in Beijing Saturday, People’s Daily reported.
“Bike riding is good for the environment and you get to enjoy the views on the way,” said Wang, a fresher of environmental engineering at Beijing Forestry University.
Wang and her father started the journey from Xi’an in Shanxi province Aug 14 — a route she picked that takes them through many historical places. Cities on the route included Luoyang, an important city in the Tang Dynasty (618-907).
Wang stamped a red flag, which she carried for the trip, with the postal seal of every city they visited.
“The cost of the trip, including admission fees to historical parks, museums and guesthouse accommodation worked out at about 3,000 yuan ($441),” Wang’s father said.
She was heralded at her university as the first student to leave a zero carbon footprint on her journey to college, the Beijing Evening News said.
Wang had earlier gone on biking adventures with her father, including to Lhasa, Tibet.
- Tibet tourism park to honour ancient princess - Jul 09, 2012
- Tibetan tea museum to open in Lhasa - Sep 02, 2011
- Earliest Chinese version of Quran found in China - Dec 18, 2011
- 1200 yr old empress' coffin suggests deep cultural exchange on Silk Road - Sep 20, 2010
- Rare 1,100-year-old murals on display in China - Jun 21, 2011
- China to build five-star toilet - Jul 23, 2012
- Professor fined $159 for plagiarism - Mar 27, 2012
- Man abducted 30 years ago reunited with parents - Dec 13, 2010
- Rape victim's mother released from Chinese labour camp - Aug 10, 2012
- Heritage sites in China under termite threat - May 05, 2009
- Chinese woman poisons herself, three kids - Apr 01, 2012
- China's Silk road temple conservation held up as model - Jan 22, 2011
- US tech firm to set up branch in Chinese city - Dec 23, 2011
- Unknown ancient kingdom found in China - Apr 24, 2011
- China probes schoolgirl's suicidal jump - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: accommodation, admission fees, beijing evening news, bike riding, biking adventures, carbon footprint, chinese student, chinese woman, first woman, forestry university, journey, lhasa tibet, museums, red flag, shanxi province, tang dynasty, yuan