Chinese physicists create artificial black holes with metamaterialsNovember 17th, 2010 - 6:26 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov 17 (ANI): A team of Chinese physicists has proposed a simple way to design an artificial electromagnetic (EM) black hole in the laboratory.
In their study, Huanyang Chen at Soochow University and his colleagues presented a proposal of an artificial EM black hole designed using five types of composite isotropic materials, layered so that their transverse magnetic modes capture EM waves to which the object is subjected.
The artificial EM black hole does not let EM waves escape, analogous to a black hole trapping light. In this case, the trapped EM waves are in the microwave region of the spectrum.
The so-called metamaterials used in the experiment are artificially engineered materials designed to have unusual properties not seen in nature.
Metamaterials have also been used in studies of invisibility cloaking and negative-refraction superlenses.
The scientists suggested the same method might be adaptable to higher frequencies, even those of visible light.
“Development of artificial black holes would enable us to measure how incident light is absorbed when passing through them,” said Chen.
“They can also be applied to harvesting light in a solar-cell system,” he added.
The study appears in the Journal of Applied Physics. (ANI)
- Miniature invisibility 'carpet cloak' shows promise for the optical world - Apr 20, 2011
- Terahertz invisibility cloak created - Apr 28, 2011
- Harry Potter's invisibility cloak may become a reality - Nov 04, 2010
- New materials could make invisibility cloak technology a reality - Jan 26, 2011
- Scientists make first perovskite-based superlens for the infrared - Mar 30, 2011
- New material brings Harry Potter style 'invisibility cloak' a step closer - Nov 04, 2010
- Scientists create electromagnetic "black hole" that sucks in surrounding light - Oct 15, 2009
- Star-Trek-style 'space-time invisibility cloak' comes a step closer - Nov 16, 2010
- Harry Potter-style invisibility cloak can now be made from silk - Aug 12, 2010
- New metamaterial device can bend the light along the corner of a building - Aug 01, 2009
- 'Invisibility cloaks' come closer to reality - Jul 08, 2009
- Reversal of optical Doppler shift could lead to 'invisibility cloak' - Mar 07, 2011
- Is the Star-trek style invisibility cloak finally a reality? - Feb 02, 2011
- Soon, invisibility cloak made of glass - Jul 22, 2010
- Oz scientists' theory brings invisibility cloaks closer to reality - Aug 29, 2010
Tags: artificial black holes, black hole, colleagues, incident light, isotropic materials, journal of applied physics, metamaterials, microwave region, modes, physicists, proposal, refraction, scientists, solar cell, soochow university, spectrum, unusual properties, waves