Chinese people protest female foeticideJuly 13th, 2012 - 7:24 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 13 (IANS) Many people in China are concerned over people’s preference for baby boys than girls and inclination for gender tests and abortions.
In one such display of growing public concern, about 10,000 people in China’s Zhejiang province participated in a mass rally to protest gender tests and baby boy-favoured abortions, Xinhua reported.
The participants, including officials, local residents and villagers, signed their names Thursday on a huge banner with the words “Safeguard women’s life rights” and “Voluntarily say no to gender identification and unnecessary abortion”.
Having a baby boy has long been preferred by Chinese couples following a belief that males can continue the family bloodline and be a better financial support for the family than females.
China’s family planning policies, introduced in the 1970s to curb population growth, worsened the situation as most urban couples can only have one child. Wishing to have a son, they rely on gender identification tests and abortions.
Zhejiang’s birth gender ratio in 2010 was 118.13 boys for every 100 girls. At some places, the ratio was 130 to 100, according to official statistics.
“In Zhejiang, 30,000 more boys are born than girls every year, which is a very dangerous signal for society. In 2020, 24 million Chinese men will have difficulties in finding their wives,” said Wenjuan, director of the provincial population and family planning commission.
- Migrants causing birth ratio problem in Shanghai - Jun 30, 2012
- Call to upgrade 'toothless' Chinese laws to end epidemic of illegal gender tests - Nov 25, 2010
- China proposes harsh punishment to curb gender imbalance - Mar 14, 2012
- Shanghai to crack down on sex determination clinics - Feb 25, 2012
- China's gender imbalance still grave - Mar 29, 2012
- Sex selection to lead to 20pc more men than women by 2030 in India - Mar 15, 2011
- China's sex ratio declines - Aug 16, 2011
- Parents of octuplets in China face hefty fines - Dec 21, 2011
- India's population is 1.21 billion, gender imbalance worsens (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- Chinese men to find it tougher to get wives - Jul 11, 2010
- Uttarakhand drive to check sex-determination tests - Jul 09, 2012
- Abortions give rise to "lost boy" generation in China and India - Mar 15, 2011
- Blot on humanity, says twitterati on baby Afreen's death - Apr 11, 2012
- Male-female birth ratio improves in China - Jun 04, 2010
- Chinese women at risk as male-female ratio widens - Aug 24, 2010
Tags: 100 girls, abortions, baby boy, baby boys, bloodline, chinese couples, chinese men, family planning, gender ratio, having a baby, inclination, mass rally, official statistics, planning commission, population growth, provincial population, public concern, safeguard, xinhua, zhejiang province