Chinese female astronaut candidate was a hero pilotJune 11th, 2012 - 6:47 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 11 (IANS) One of China’s two female astronaut candidates was once a hero pilot who successfully dealt with a mid-air emergency.
Liu Yang was taking part in a routine PLA flight when her plane suffered a bird-strike shortly after takeoff. Her plane’s windshield splattered with blood and the cockpit filled with a burning smell after the aircraft hit a flock of 18 pigeons.
Liu Yang managed to stabilise the plane and made a successful emergency landing 11 minutes after the incident occurred, China Daily reported Monday. The daily did not say when the incident occurred.
Born in Henan province in 1978, Liu enrolled in the Changchun No.1 Flight College of the PLA Air Force and went on to become an Air Force cargo pilot.
In China, pilots with the experience of dealing with emergencies are preferred for astronaut selection.
The other female astronaut candidate is Wang Yaping.
One of them will be selected for the Shenzhou IX manned space mission, becoming China’s first female astronaut.
- Liu is first Chinese woman in space - Jun 16, 2012
- China launches Shenzhou-9 with first woman astronaut - Jun 16, 2012
- China to send first woman astronaut into space - Jun 15, 2012
- Joining Chinese space mission doesn't come easy! (Lead) - Mar 25, 2012
- Joining Chinese space mission doesn't come easy! - Mar 25, 2012
- Chinese woman may reach space by 2012 - Apr 30, 2011
- China may send women to space in 2012 - May 01, 2011
- Chinese astronauts return to Earth - Jun 29, 2012
- In a first, Chinese women enrol to become astronauts (Lead) - Sep 17, 2009
- China mulls sending female astronauts into space - Oct 31, 2011
- China recruits new astronauts - May 07, 2010
- Chinese spacecraft docks with orbiting module - Jun 24, 2012
- Chinese air force trains 300 women pilots - Mar 09, 2012
- China to launch spacecraft for manned space docking - Jun 09, 2012
- China to launch two space modules - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: astronaut candidate, astronaut candidates, astronaut selection, bird strike, changchun, china daily, cockpit, emergencies, emergency landing, first female astronaut, flight college, flock, liu yang, manned space mission, mid air, pigeons, pla air force, shenzhou, takeoff, windshield