Chinese charity to donate sweaters to abandoned African kidsNovember 23rd, 2010 - 12:01 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 23 (IANS) A Chinese charity will donate home-made sweaters to abandoned and disabled children in six African countries - South Africa, Kenya, Nigeria, Sudan, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The China Children and Teenagers’ Fund (CCTF) said 2,010 sweaters weaved by Chinese mothers will be donated to the underprivileged children.
“Everybody who can weave and has spare time can show their love by knitting the sweaters,” He Junyi, an official in charge of the charity programme, was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
The sweaters will be specially woven by volunteers, a CCTF spokesperson said.
Over the past five years, more than 550,000 sweaters have been donated to abandoned Chinese children under the charity programme.
Peter Oloishura Nkuraiyia, executive director of the NGO Coordination Board of Kenya, said during a recent visit to Shanghai that the generosity of the Chinese mom volunteers shows the love that exists between the Chinese and African people.
The charity also donated 2,010 Shanghai World Expo commemorative T-shirts to the Afican children.
- Shanghai residents most benevolent in China - Aug 21, 2010
- 5,000 Chinese orphans get free insurance - Sep 29, 2010
- Indian lessons for Kenyan bead weavers (With Image) - Jan 08, 2012
- India, African connect through traditional crafts (With image) - Jan 02, 2012
- 'Loving moms' of Shanghai women help out orphans - May 26, 2012
- Nine killed in Zambia bus accident - Jul 20, 2012
- Emirati volunteers celebrate Eid with Somali kids - Nov 07, 2011
- Chinese journalists provide free lunch - Apr 09, 2012
- Zambia to play Zimbabwe in football friendly - Jul 18, 2012
- Jackman urges fans to donate for Africa famine relief - Sep 03, 2011
- Take That, Cheryl raise $27m for charity - Nov 21, 2010
- 1,700 Chinese donate bodies for medical research - Mar 01, 2012
- Zambia seeks Indian investments in heath, mining - Oct 20, 2011
- Interpol seizes two tonnes of elephant ivory - Jun 20, 2012
- Brian Wood's Widow Thanks Gamers For Their Compassion And Support - Sep 17, 2010
Tags: africa kenya, african countries, african kids, beijing, cctf, charity, china children, chinese children, chinese mothers, coordination board, disabled children, executive director, generosity, ngo, shanghai world expo, spare time, spokesperson, sweaters, underprivileged children, xinhua